Wooden Boat Tools

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Dice

Wooden Boat Tools

Post by Dice » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 pm

When building one of these Glen-L boats, exactly what kind of tools would I need and about how much would they cost if a person had just very simple tools such as, screwdriver, drill, sanding block etc...

Thanks!

vupilot

Re: Wooden Boat Tools

Post by vupilot » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Im sure it depends on the type of boat but I was able to complete the Zip with a minimal tool investment.

To get started building frames youll need...
Hand held Sabre saw
Bench top belt/disc sander

Then later you will likely need...
Electric handheld belt sander
Random orbit sander
Electric hand plane
Two cordless drills. One for drilling, one for screwing, saves lots of time
Corded drill, for drilling big holes.
Router, would be nice, but I didnt use one.
You can never have too many clamps

I had the wood supplier or friends do anything I needed a table saw for and any thickness planing. At 10 cents a cut/pass it was cheaper than buying them. Plus, I would have no place to store such tools.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:07 pm

My most used tools so far:

Clamps, and plenty of them.**
Table Saw for ripping lumber
Chop Saw.. but honestly not all that necessary
Pull Saw (Japanese Saw style)**
Jig Saw (Sabre Saw).**
Planer/Power Planer
Angle Grinder with Sanding Disk attachment**
Router**
Random Orbital Sander**
Belt Sander
Band Saw
Chisels
Hammer
2 Cordless Drills**
Power Drill

**= saved me a lot of time when needed.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:34 am

My number one tool is the bench top sanding station. My jig saw work sucks so I sand everything to get it straight, curved, or shaped properly. Number two is clamps...you will always find a need for more.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:03 am

For "Meat Hogging" or taking off some excess, nothing beats a Right Angle grinder with the Wood Blades or Big Grit sanding wheels.
Then there's the SawZall, or Tiger Saw! He'll go through Fasteners between two boards you want to save.
Neither of those two "animals" will follow a line very well so beware of the Wood eating Devil with the long tail. :evil:

The Electric Drills will save your Behind when you need to make holes, insert screws or remove the Screws. Wood boring bits, Spade bits etc.
For screwing you need a slow rotating drill.

I've never owned a Router.
For Gouging slots nobody will ever see, you can use a Powerful drill and a suitably sharpened drill bit. Make a guide out of wood scraps, so it don't wander. Use a Drill-stop so you don't go in too deep.
If you can find a roller bearing that will slide up over the drill bit, make a guide for that roller bearing. :lol: Thats a Home-Made router. :?

I have a sliding Chop saw that rotates for angle cutting and a Table saw that tilts for angle cutting.
There is an "Expandable" blade for those saws that will do Routing. Almost all the Routing you will do is straight line stuff.
You just don't know how valuable those things can be.

Chalk String line. Long board with sand paper that rolls out and sticks to the board.
Lots of different kinds of screws to use as clamps or to hold your Temporary stuff together.

I've never owned an electric hand plane either. Great little tool though.

Lots of scrap wood for making Scarfing jigs, clamps, stanchions, saw horses, tables, brackets etc.

Fans for the builder's comfort.
Eye Protection, lots of them, hanging everywhere. Ear plugs to keep the dust out of your ears when using that Noisy stuff.
Disposable Breathing mask so you don't have to stop and wipe your nose when your busy.

Plenty of Gator Aid in the cooler. Maybe even some "Snake Bite" medicine in case the Torredoes attack. :roll:

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:16 am

:roll: I have allot of the bigger tools like table saw and band saw and thinkness planner but I knew from the beginning I was going to be using raw lumber that I had logged myself and seasoned. but but to the size of my pieces I have found that I have cut out my frame pieces that have straight edges using a skil saw. I have used the thinkness planner allot to bring pieces I have lamated together down to size but there is allot waste doing this. Clamp of all sizes are a must perferblly of the quick release and quick tightening type stay away from the cheap spring clamps and some of the gun type clamps they just don't last. other items that are a must is dusk masks eye protection and hearing protection and when working with epoxy protective gloves and I also use respirator the stuff can be pretty toxic :roll: some boats have been built using just basic hand tools but some of us use this a excuse to get newer better power tools :roll: :wink: :lol: I don't own a power planer but have a joiner plan, jake plane and small hand plane assorted rasps. I due own a router but haven't used it yet on the build
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Caber-Feidh

Post by Caber-Feidh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 pm

I have found the most necessary tools, in order of importance to be:

Beer cooler
patience
band-aids
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:22 am

Caber-Feidh wrote:I have found the most necessary tools, in order of importance to be:

Beer cooler
patience
band-aids
All hail to the KING OF COUNSEL! :D

For me, the beer cooler holds the magic elixirs that give me the patience and make me not panic when I need the Band-aids. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:43 am

I save the booze for after my work session. Saves on bandaids.

Roberta :o :shock: :oops: :)
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JPM98Keydet

Post by JPM98Keydet » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:09 am

For the really dedicated hand-tool junkie:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/
I am really a fan of the low angle jointer:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=7_5
Buy the best you only cry once....
JPM

slug

Post by slug » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Out of all the tools mentioned, I think the most valuable in my build has been my 4 x 24 belt sander.
Depending on the operation ( fairing, sanding the hull after glass or epoxy) with an 80 or even 36 grit belt it makes fast work of a difficult job, and you quickly get very adept with it.
Doug

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Slug, I agree with you on that.

I've used a belt sander to fair all my boats,and it's great.....isn't bothered by screws,nails etc either.

Oyster has me almost convinced though that the angle grinder is right up there too.

I can handle the belt sander better though and get more precise non-precision stuff done with it. :wink:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:16 am

I've used a power planer and angle grinder for rough fairing followed by a belt sander and finished with a sanding block. The heavier tools are a little unwieldy for me and I tend to make the surface a little rounded, so finishing off by hand with an 80 grit sanding block helps me square up the surface.

My favorite wood working tools are my Shark pull saw and a good, sharp wood chisel.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

wbbaer

Post by wbbaer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:49 am

I think the most useful single tool so far in my construction has been a Fein oscillating saw. Similar tools are available from other manufacturers but the Fein, while expensive, has unmatched power, endurance and versatility. Cutting batten notches in the frames with a router proved difficult and, particularly forward, impractical. The Fein saw made it easy to prepare the angled notches. It also makes fitting the battens and other elements to the stem much easier. The batten can be drawn close to the stem and the saw blade run between producing a tight fit. This can be done with hand tools, of course, but with considerably more effort. Thus far, the Fein saw gets my vote for most useful tool.
Bill

Built a Monaco named: Princess

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 am

Hey folks... let's not scare people off here!

You do not really NEED all of these tools.

As VU Pilot said... you can build a very very nice boat with a small set of good tools.

in the "olden days" people built these boats with a drill, a saber saw, and a sander plus a few good hand tools. (If you could find a friend or supplier with a table saw or band saw for ripping the long pieces)

I would advise buying a few good tools, rather than a lot of cheap ones.

Just my $0.02.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project