Wooden Boat Tools

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

upspirate

Re: Wooden Boat Tools

Postby upspirate » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 am

I agree Bruce,My first I used two corded drills cause we had them,(long time ago),Yankee manual screwdriver,plane,hand saw,chisel,rasp,saber saw that Dad had,and a cheap belt sander i bought for the job.Oh yea, a hammer for the nails!

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:43 am

To expand on Bruce's comments,,,,
One of the really important things to consider and to learn when building a boat with portable hand tools to to learn how to use them. This applies to drills, sanders and grinders, all three that rank at the very top of the lists of required tools

Always practice on sacrifical woods in the beginning. Pattern all your early parts in the setup portion of the build. then transfer to good stuff.

. All of the other permanant or fixed mounted wheels on the feet of the heavier tools improve on the time frame and expands the types of boats and boat parts that you can fabricate to build the more complexed boats. The majority of boat plans on this forum rarely require thousands of dollars and a secondary workshed to store larger equipment. People get annal about tools and less than perfect [according to who I say] when getting their feet wet in amateur projects.

While its best to try to do your best the first time around and mosts cases will save time and money down the road, most of these boats are being built to be used, not to stick behind glass windows. So go forth and build, learning along the way what works best for you.

Dice

Postby Dice » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Sorry I'm so late to reply!

The boat I wanna build is the Biscayne 18 ft. I'm the person with the dream and my older brother is the person with the knowledge. He is a master of, electricity, motors, tools, connections, transmissions, the whole 9 yards. He is truly amazing and I'm glad to have him on my side.

He ( my brother ) is into outboard motors and I'm into inboards. No matter our differences, I wanna build a Biscayne 18 ft. If I can't build the Biscayne as a 1st time project, I won't build anything. I'm about a year away from beginning the project. I would rather work my ass off instead of buying all types of equipment, OLD SCHOOL.

Hope I didn't open a new can of worms with the Biscayne!?

Cheers...

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:35 am

Dice wrote: . I would rather work my ass off instead of buying all types of equipment, OLD SCHOOL.

Cheers...

Oh, how we may be humbled by our words.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Dice

Postby Dice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 pm

DaveLott wrote:

Nothing wrong with somebody wanting to work harder to save money. Am I missing something? :roll:

Moreover, can somebody post links to Biscayne builds/ pic's. I found a build several months ago and can't find it again?

Ty...

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 am

Dice wrote:
DaveLott wrote:

Nothing wrong with somebody wanting to work harder to save money. Am I missing something? :roll:

Ty...

Not at all, I just recall too many "wish I had" when I comes to stapling or sanding. These are 2 humbling experiences in regard to the VOLUME of work involved.

Let's get to work. But remember, it is a marathon, not a race (but don't listen to what I say) :lol:
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:24 am

wbbaer wrote:I think the most useful single tool so far in my construction has been a Fein oscillating saw. Similar tools are available from other manufacturers but the Fein, while expensive, has unmatched power, endurance and versatility. Cutting batten notches in the frames with a router proved difficult and, particularly forward, impractical. The Fein saw made it easy to prepare the angled notches. It also makes fitting the battens and other elements to the stem much easier. The batten can be drawn close to the stem and the saw blade run between producing a tight fit. This can be done with hand tools, of course, but with considerably more effort. Thus far, the Fein saw gets my vote for most useful tool.

I am a tool Junkie and this is one tool (Oscillating Multi Tool (OMT)) that I didn't think that I needed; seemed too "as seen on TV" if you know what I mean. When removing my fiberglass tanks I decided to buy a cheepo Harbor Freight version. It worked OK but got really hot was noisey and vibrated in the hand a lot, but it did the job and convinced me that this is a very useful tool. I started reaching for it much more to do tasks which might have been done differently with other tools but this OMT shined. Well the Cheepo HFT one died a few days ago with probably less than 1 hr on the motor (it seized up started smoking!!) I decided to buy a Fein 350W and it is way better than the cheepo HFT one. I highly recommend this tool!

The other crazy expensive tool that I could not live without is the Festool Rotex 150 sander and CT26E dust extractor
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Tool Talk”