The Way to Measure Epoxy Mix

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

lakeracer69

Re: The Way to Measure Epoxy Mix

Postby lakeracer69 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 am

Cranky Badger wrote:
gstanfield wrote:"Why not just pull it into the syringe like you normally would"?

What if you're using a thixotropic resin ?
I've got one cold cure formulation I use that would have you sitting there all day trying to pull it into the syringe.

I use Epiglass resin and I just keep a damp mineral spirit-soaked piece of rag to wrap around the nozzle on the hardener when I'm done. The resin pump doesn't seem to plug up at all.

I just heat the epoxy and hardener up with a small electric heater with a fan and fill 3 "A",
and 3 "B" syringes at one time. I pull out the plunger and pour it in from the top. Replace the plunger, remove any air bubbles, and then push out any excess resin back into the can until the plunger lines up with a line on the syringe. Takes all of 2 minutes.
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

mthboards

Postby mthboards » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Do not measure by weight unless you know the correct ratio.
I measured by weight for a board I made I gave it 2parts resin one part hardener, never cured right always has a smell to it and its soft and fiberglass peels off easy. Turns out it takes a lot more hardener to get the same weight a resin so you get more hardener in the mix.

timjn

Postby timjn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51 am

fschonowski wrote:I am a nurse, so I have access to syringes. The 60cc ones that are used for tube feedings in hospitals and nursing homes are excellent. I have built 3 boats using them. Mixing up a batch as small as 6cc[1/5 ounce] is even possible. Find yourself a nurse or nurses aide that you may know and ask them to get you 2 of them. Complete accuracy!

Agree with you!

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:09 pm

I only use the west system pumps. Never had an issue.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Tool Talk”