"Must Have" tools?

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

BORD

"Must Have" tools?

Post by BORD » Thu May 24, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm about to start building a Dyno Mite and was wondering what tools I'm going to "need"? I have an orbital sander, corded drill, cordless drill & twist drill bits, hammers, circular saw, band saw, hand grinder, and a sawzall. I'm considering buying a router, belt sander, block plane set, chisel set, brace and bits, double compound miter radial arm chop saw, table saw, and an air compressor.

I can't afford all of them. Maybe one or two new tools. Which ones do you think would be the most useful?

BruceDow

Re: "Must Have" tools?

Post by BruceDow » Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 pm

hmmm.

Reflecting on this, it is amazing how much you can do with a few simple tools.

Because the Dyno Mite is a stitch and glue boat, you can probably get by without at belt sander or router,

Other tools that may be "essential" would be a decent handheld jigsaw and a Boat Builders' Bevel Gauge

Is your band saw full size? can you cut 1" hardwood with it? If so, you probably don't need the table saw.

If you have a good hand saw (the Japanese pull saws are very good), you can get by without the miter saw.

I used block planes and chisels almost every day while framing and fairing.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

BORD

Post by BORD » Thu May 24, 2012 7:52 pm

I forget exactly what size it is but it is a full size Delta like this one.

So block planes, chisels, and a boat builders bevel gauge. I think I can do that.
Attachments
vertical_bandsaw.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri May 25, 2012 3:33 am

I an sticking with it!! The most valuable tool in my collection for my Gentry build has been the Rigid sanding station. You can get it at Home Depot. It has a table that you can adjust from 90 degrees to about 45 degrees. It has a belt sanding attachment for a 4"X24" belt and an assortment of spindle attachments. With the belt, and a little practice, you can sand any board right down to an exact pencil line. I don't know what I would have done without it..... Good luck with your build.....Neel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri May 25, 2012 7:56 am

My bench belt sander is just about worn out!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri May 25, 2012 8:09 am

neel thompson wrote:I an sticking with it!! The most valuable tool in my collection for my Gentry build has been the Rigid sanding station. You can get it at Home Depot. It has a table that you can adjust from 90 degrees to about 45 degrees. It has a belt sanding attachment for a 4"X24" belt and an assortment of spindle attachments. With the belt, and a little practice, you can sand any board right down to an exact pencil line. I don't know what I would have done without it..... Good luck with your build.....Neel
I agree on this tool,not essential, but VERY useful!

I also agree on the hand held belt sander, and Jig saw.....the rest are nice, but not necessary.(chisels and hand saws are needed to like Bruce said)

BORD

Post by BORD » Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 am

OK, so block planes, chisels, and a handheld belt or bench sander.

I think I can get away without a Jig saw if I have the band saw. If not I can get one of those later.

I'm going over to a local tool shop called Woodcraft today. I'll probably pick up a 4pc set of chisels while I'm there.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 am

It will probably be easier to cut out the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood with a jigsaw, than maneuvering the sheets over your bandsaw. But you would only need the jigsaw for a day. Perhaps you could borrow one.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

SeaPea

Post by SeaPea » Fri May 25, 2012 12:35 pm

I picked up a used jigsaw on Trade Me (kiwi eBay) for about $10.50 - probably paid more for blades by now but the jigsaw hasn't missed a beat...

Craig.
Craig

SUP
Riviera

BORD

Post by BORD » Fri May 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Picked up a Wood River #4 plane and a 6pc set of Pfeil chisels today. This should get me started.

This new tool store is going to make me poor. I can see it now. I was like a kid in a candy shop. :shock:

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Fri May 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Hey, BORD...

It looks like you have "caught the bug" on quality hand tools... Have you got your sharpening system sorted yet?

If not, go and search on "Scary Sharp". It is cool when you can count your nostril hairs in the reflection on the cutting edge of your chisel!
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

BORD

Post by BORD » Fri May 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Haven't purchased any waterstones yet. Was planning on a Norton set, 220,1000,4000, and 8000 grit plus a flattening stone and a Veritas honing guide. I was at the store for over an hour talking about chisels, planes and stones. Turns out the sales guy is building a boat too. A 14" lapstrake sailboat.

I think I'm going to be poor for a while. :lol:

keith

Post by keith » Sat May 26, 2012 1:27 am

I think the honing guide is a must, but I would think twice about the water stones, they are expensive. You can get very good results with a decent quality wet and dry sand paper and a nice flat surface. I use a piece of glass that was part of the top of a fish tank.

I use 100, 240, 400, 800, 1000, & 1200.

I take an educated guess on what grade to start with depending on what state the blade is in. I have had to use the 100 a couple of times recently as I hit a screw with my plane, but when the blade just needs a tickle up I usually just use the 1000 & 1200

I get really good results, as Bruce said, do a google on "scary sharp".
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat May 26, 2012 4:49 am

I just visited a shop where a gent was working on his 28th restoration. Other than the essentials (planes, chisels, jigsaw, etc); He used only a router, bandsaw, sanding station (36" belt) and planer. Over the course of time, he has dwindled it down to just these. And he stated he rarely used the planer for he bought most of his wood already milled.

Personally I started off with a jigsaw, circular saw, router and belt sander. I did not get any heavy equipment until after the flip.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

BORD

Post by BORD » Mon May 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Well I went down to visit my parents for Memorial Day. Ended up with a bunch of loner tools.

1. belt sander
2. power planer
3. bench top drill press
4. dovetail jig
5. Kreg jig
6. tapered countersink drill bit set
7. router table with 1hp craftsman router
8. router bits (some are kinda rough)
9. a nice Bosch jig saw
10. 14" Craftsman plane with a broken handle
11. eggbeater hand drill. (I couldn't talk him out of his yankee screwdrivers)
12. a bunch of C clamps
13. I got a curved chisel
14. a drawknife
15. And a cool little square maybe 3"

Not too bad I'd say. :D Time to start buying wood.
Last edited by BORD on Mon May 28, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.