I want flexible sander!! argh!

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

MaxHammer

I want flexible sander!! argh!

Postby MaxHammer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 am

Hi,

Im building 72 foot long yacht and I would love to know, if there is any flexible electric sander that can sand large curved area. Are there any? Or do I live in a land of dreams? :-P

Ches T

Re: I want flexible sander!! argh!

Postby Ches T » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 am

Wow, a 72 ft. yacht. I am certainly not in your league as my build is only 14' 4".

As for the flexible sander, I don't know if I have ever seen or heard of one. But I am using a 5" random orbital sander on my Zip and it seems to work well. It is wide enough to span most low spots in the epoxy, thereby lowering the high spots. And by the time the whole surface is sanded it looks like one plane. However, maybe I am to soon satisfied? And a boat the size you mention surely doesn't have tighter curves than a 14 foot?

I would love to see your yacht!!!!!!!!!!

Ches
Ches

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:20 am

MaxHammer wrote:Hi,

Im building 72 foot long yacht and I would love to know, if there is any flexible electric sander that can sand large curved area. Are there any? Or do I live in a land of dreams? :-P

reading the "other Wooden Boat forum" i often hear tales of the "torture board" used by two or more people. other than that, board files that are pneumatic take a good bite out of the surface and would get you there quicker than anything electric.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

tsmitherman

Postby tsmitherman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm

There was an article in Wooden Boat sometime back that showed how to make a flexible pad to mount on a grinder/sander. If my memory is right it was fashioned from fiberglass and epoxy, was about 10" wide, and you glued on sandpaper sheets. You could alter the thickness to make it more or less flexible.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

slug

Postby slug » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:58 am

I have also seen an article ( possibly in wooden boat?) on a sander that used an excentrid wheel mounted on a motor resting on the ground with a pole hooked up to a sanding board that the operator steered ( probably with great difficulty :o :lol: ) . Apparently it was very effective for stripping hulls and the operators got very profficient with it. I would imagine it could be quite a ride till you got a handle on it so to speak.

It would be real cheap to try.

Doug

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:27 am

:D How about making something that fits into a sawzall? it goes in and out ;not round and round.

Return to “Tool Talk”