Thoughts on Grizzly Tools.

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

jlwright

Thoughts on Grizzly Tools.

Postby jlwright » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 am

I need to buy chisels and planes to start my Malahina build. I don't know what to buy and what brand is good quality. I have a Grizzly store a short distance from me and they have a large selection of nearly everything. Should I consider buying from them or stick to a certain brand? I need advice on what type of these tools to buy to get started. I want tools that are good quality and will last.
Thanks in advance.

Paul Kinneberg

Re: Thoughts on Grizzly Tools.

Postby Paul Kinneberg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:11 am

jlwright wrote:I need to buy chisels and planes to start my Malahina build. I don't know what to buy and what brand is good quality. I have a Grizzly store a short distance from me and they have a large selection of nearly everything. Should I consider buying from them or stick to a certain brand? I need advice on what type of these tools to buy to get started. I want tools that are good quality and will last.
Thanks in advance.

jlwright that's a tough one! I don't think Grizzly will ever be considered the best but having said that I have three stationairy sanders from them in my shop and all have performed wonderfully over the years. When it comes to planes and chisels it really depends how much you want to spend and how much time you want to spend preparing them for their first use. The more you spend the less time it will take to get them flat and sharp. I have a set of Marples chisels that after flattening the back side, putting a good edge on, and polishing work very well. They were about $60 vs a lie Nielsen set that would put you back $300 plus. The same is true for planes I have a Stanley hand plane that I purchased at ace for $25 that works great but I spent a lot of time sharpening and setting it up. I have a lie Nielsen that was ten times that but worked right out of he box. Short story is the backs need to be flat and polished and I do this all on a flat stone I purchased from you got it Grizzly :)

jlwright

Postby jlwright » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:52 am

Thanks for the insight. I own a machine shop and don't mind putting in a little extra effort to fine tune the tools. I may give them a try and see how it works out. They have several different price points to choose from so I'll stay with their higher quality tools. I have several Grizzly power tools too and have always been satisfied with the quality considering the cost.

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 pm

I have had a Grizzly 10" tablesaw, 6" jointer, a belt/disk sander combo and a metal working lathe/milling machine combo for over 25 years. A couple years ago I replaced a bearing in the sander. Other than than they have served me well and I am a satisfied customer.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Caber-Feidh

Postby Caber-Feidh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Their house-brand planes are questionable on their best days, pretty much china-junk, with even junkier irons, poor fit, worse finish.

Hit up some pawn shops, and find some old stanley/bailey planes, new irons from lee-valley, and you have a good tool made to actually work. Any of those 80+ year old tools will out perform that asian crap that is victimizing the would-be woodworker these days

-but then, I have been accused of being a bit of a tool-snob
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

jlwright

Postby jlwright » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

What about new Stanley, Bailey planes? grizzly sells them too.

Caber-Feidh

Postby Caber-Feidh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm

The older Stanley/Bailey are a better tool than the new production, but they either of them are far above the asian copies that have been imported in recent years.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

John K

Postby John K » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:58 am

I have an older 14 inch band saw and it works very well. Weighs a ton, as it is all cast iron. Don't know too much about the newer tools, but they have had some good reviews on tool testing for Wood Magazine. Most times their stationary tools rank as average or better, but they also have had best tool value. Their spiral planer was ranked the best a few years ago.

Teebone

Postby Teebone » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:43 am

I bought a grizzly 5000 band saw. It was junk! I was constantly having to reset blade angle. Not an easy task. Went to jet, Powermatic built by the same people. Wound up with a extrema 20a band saw, love it.

jlwright

Postby jlwright » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:47 am

I talked to a salesman at Grizzly about bandsaws one time and he told me some were good and some models were not. I forget now the ones he recommended.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 am

If you can afford it, buy the Laguna LT14SUV. I love mine. Easy to set up and maintain.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Tool Talk”