Using CAD program for interior designs

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Muellerd

Using CAD program for interior designs

Postby Muellerd » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 am

I was trying to search the web for some sort of free CAD program so I can layout the interior.
I'd like to have a good idea of what I would end up with before I get going on a big project such as the Bo-Jest.
Anyone have any experience using CAD to design their boat interior and where did you get a copy of the program?
Maybe I'm over thinking and just need to stick with the basics - pen and paper!

Dennis
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina

Bill Edmundson

Re: Using CAD program for interior designs

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 am

Dennis

By the time you get to building the interior you will have built it so many times in your head that you won't need plans. :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bob Perkins

Postby Bob Perkins » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:20 am

I agree with Bill -

I had it all mapped out in my head. The only thing I did near the end was the seats were tricky..
Ended up measuring the seat in my pickup - distance to floor (which is amazingly small)
Depth, height, seat angle - that was about it..
I did mock up the dash board once and then change it for the final version.

My boat is a different style boat - but the thoughts still apply

The only *real* thing I had to do before starting was make sure the motor I wanted was going to fit. After that, you really only need to think a few steps ahead. Otherwise you will never start. i.e. No need to pick out the steering wheel if you have no frames..
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 am

8) my build has been on hold for 2 years now but believe me I can tell you where ever piece will go and the layout :roll: :wink: I have to force myself to only worry about what I can do and let the rest wait until there time. If i didn't i would never sleep :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

slug

Postby slug » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:57 pm

When I did the interior on my 34' sailboat and on the Titan, I mocked everything up before. Sometimes it was simply heavy cardboard with wood battens, and sometimes I used cheap "OSB". Either way I got the best use out of the space available and was happy with the results. Doesn't cost much to save some grief later..
Doug

Muellerd

Postby Muellerd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 am

Slug,

A cardboard mockup is probably the best way to go.
My main concern was I don't want to start a project and then find out the boat doesn't have the space, storage, amenity and people capacity I'm after.
I like your card board scenario. That should give me a good feel for a finished product.
Everyone else... Yes the ideas role thru the head head all the time.

Barra

Postby Barra » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 am

If you do decide you need a CAD package then I would recommend Draftsight. It's free and does pretty much everything 2d AutoCad does. Made by Dassault systems, you should be able to find it. We use it in our office and I use it at home. If you're familiar with AutoCad at all you should be able to jump straight into it.

Otherwise nothing wrong with cardboard cutouts!

slug

Postby slug » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:11 am

Just to re-enforce that I am a great believer in mock-ups. On the Titan sometimes only a half inch meant the difference whether a preferred item or just a usable item could be installed. It helped me lay out the galley to obtain a completely usable working and living area that everyone is amazed at. (including us :shock: :D )
On launch day we had a celebratory dinner on board with champagne and a full meal for four of us....in a 4'8" by 6' cabin with full galley and two seats. Admittedly two were standing in doorways and two sitting, but it was great. Good wine, good food and best friends...doesn't get any better. :D
Doug

Muellerd

Postby Muellerd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:38 am

Barra,

I downloaded the Draftsight.
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!
I used to use a cad program at work so I have some experience.
Dennis

soedesh

Postby soedesh » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

Another free 3D CAD program is Sketchup, if you want to go the 3D route. There is also a large online library for Sketchup where people contribute models, so there may be some that you can modify for your use. I've used a bunch of mechanical CAD programs over the years, but I haven't used Draftsight so I don't know how it compares. I can say that Sketchup is on the easier side of 3D CAD to learn.

Return to “Tool Talk”