oldie

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Joris

oldie

Postby Joris » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am

Finally got the workshop empty and found a cheap bandsaw that is big enough to resaw my 4" wide planks. Actually i can put 4 planks on top of eachother as it is pretty huge :D . Took me a complete day as it weighs around 800kgs but at 250euro's it's a bargain i think 8)
Big saving in my tool budget too so i bought 100 more of the old planks and placed m first order at Glen-L...and uh...i still need to decide what boat i'm building :oops:

Joris

thudpucker

Re: oldie

Postby thudpucker » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:35 pm

WOW that's a lotta machinery. How big is the Gap?
Looks like you could saw wood Gussets out of whole tree stumps and trunks.

John K

Postby John K » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Wow that is almost 1800 lbs to move. I thought my old Grizzly at 450 lbs was a lot to move around.

Joris

Postby Joris » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:50 pm

The gap is 18". It took an old skateboard and some egyptian technology to move onto it's place :mrgreen:

So i have wood, i have saved enough on this machine to order Poxy Grip and some raptor-stuff with a gun at Glen-L, i also bought a planner, a belt sander and for my birthday a friend gave me a little funny handmilling machine (it probably has a name...).
I also got a copy of "The runabout book Vol22" with some plans and to get a better understanding about boatbuilding i decided to try and loft one of the plans.
2 and a half boards connected with slots to make them line up:

I then started drawing...by late afternoon i decided to start all over because i noticed that cheap wooden pieces dont bend evenly over their length. So i sanded the board down, crawled up the stairs (my knees stopped working...) and went to bed. The next morning i started all over and after a few hours i sat back and looked at all the mistakes i made... :mrgreen: Thought about it for a few days looked at for a million times and although lofting is a pain in the knees, i think i learned a lot. But it hasn't made it easier to choose a design...
(in case anyone is wondering, the oilstain is normal for a ducati-owner :lol: )

Return to “Tool Talk”