More clamps on the cheap

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Dave Grason

More clamps on the cheap

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Don't have enough clamps? Can't find the coins to buy all the traditional pretty ones?

I was at Tractor Supply looking for a pair of vice grips the other day. I saw this item that is designed for castrating farm animals. It's called an "Elastrator." It costs about $18 and then you buy an additional bag of little castrating "O" rings that look like something you would use for an Auto A/C leak only a lot tougher and smaller. I think that bag of manhood removers is about $2.50. I remember my uncle used a tool like this with his goats for years. When I would help him either neuter or dehorn a ram, he would often hold the ram while I applied the ring. That little ring is REALLY tough and has quite a bit of spring action to it. Last week, I looked around in a bunch of tools I picked up a number of years ago from my aunt after my uncle passed and, sure enough, there it was. I meant to bring it to G7 but forgot. I'm sure it would have been quite the topic for conversation!

At any rate, I had tried it out to see what kind of clamping force it can supply. (...a LOT!)

Basically, I started experimenting by simply using two small flat pieces of wood and started clamping things. It works best with two rings per clamp. Join the two sticks with one ring at one end, place the open end on what it is that you want to clamp, use the application tool to slide another ring into place and, trust me. It's not going anywhere. If you have a rather thick piece of work to clamp, simply use a block of wood a similar size to the work on the "hinge" end.

I'm sure this definitely falls into the "do not use this product for any use other than for what the tool was designed" category but I won't tell if ya'll don't. LOL

I'll take some photos when I get a chance but right now, I'm still feeling a little puny from whatever that bug was that attacked me over the weekend. I just do not feel up to chasing my camera.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Re: More clamps on the cheap

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Dave

I don't want a tool like that around my house :!: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:02 pm

When I was married I would not have wanted it either! ROTFLOL!! Too much threat potential.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

8) I know the tool well I left the one I had at the farm and has been sold now :wink: I never let my wife near the thing :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Catbldr

Post by Catbldr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

If I bought one I won't tell anyone I had one.