Do I need a router to build boats?

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

chubs

Re: Do I need a router to build boats?

Postby chubs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:15 pm

So, would it be a good idea to buy both the 'Boatbuilding With Plywood' book and Danenberg's book too?

As for routing while fairing, would a smaller hand-held router make more sense than the really heavy table mounted one i've got? I've got a pretty serious 1/2" router, not just some toy chinese one, but if danenberg's routing technique involves holding the router by hand instead of it being mounted upside down in a table, then it might make sense to sell mine and buy a smaller one. Thoughts?

chubs

Postby chubs » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Is this the technique?

http://danenbergboatworks.com/Planking.htm

Under 'The Router Method'

Joris

Postby Joris » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:33 pm

chubs,
I bought the "boatbuilding with plywood" and for me (a first time boatbuilder) is has been a huge help.

Not sure about the router, maybe someone that finished his boat can answer that. I've been using a handheld until now, it does the job.

Joris

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 am

Chubs, if you do not have the room, then while it is a sin, you might need to exchange what tools you have for job specific tools. Probably that big router will never fail and will always do a perfect job. I have a couple of routers and I needed them both. They are a fantastic tool. The things you can do with a router simply can't be done well with anything else. However, 1/4" bits are cheap and the selection is extensive while the larger size may be a burden. If you clean your big router up you might be able to trade it and probably get a real good 1/4" router of equal value. I have a small light one and a larger. I use them both but I have space to store them.

Stuart

chubs

Postby chubs » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:42 am

Thanks stuart.
I've already ended up selling my router - got quite a good offer on it so i sold it.
I might buy another smaller one if i end up needing it.
Cheers

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:33 am

Did you ever tell us what boat you are building. If it is built using sheet plywood then I don't think you need to buy Don D book.
They are really for people that are restoring a boat. If you can find one then be prepared to put out some money as they are out of print.
You can build a simple jig to fair the keel and chine with a router. The router will only work on the chine only so far then you will have to do the rest with a sander.
A good small router with handles would be good to have along with flush trim bits with bearings and a dado bit also.
Jeff

chubs

Postby chubs » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm planning on building a pee wee, would i need a router for that?

Return to “Tool Talk”