Possible Plank Fitting Technique

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Packy

Possible Plank Fitting Technique

Post by Packy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Since I just got a set of plans, all I can do at this time is research. While doing so I tend to go over the building techniques in my head while I read about them. Came up with a sketch for plank fitting as it looks to be very time consuming. Please let me know what you think. Good, bad or suggestions about the idea. Thought this might work on at least the shorter side pieces.
Attachments
Plank Fitting.JPG
Using a router to fit planking.
Packy & Justin

Soon To Be Amateur Boat Builders

Dave Grason

Re: Possible Plank Fitting Technique

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 pm

As best as I can tell, I can't see any reason why your plan would not work but I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm curious as to why you want to change from convention. Is this design going to be a lap strake hull? Do you plan to paint the hull or finish it bright? Is it a cold-molded or plywood design? Do you plan to encapsulate the hull in glass cloth and epoxy? All of these variations could have an effect on your idea.

My first impulse is to say that you may be trying to reinvent the wheel. We need more information. (Inquiring minds want to know. LOL)
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Packy

Post by Packy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:56 pm

I have plans for the Tahoe 23. This is a cold molded design using 3 layers of 1/8" by about 6" planks on the sides and I believe 4 layers on the bottom. I plan on using glass cloth and epoxy on the bottom as I have seen to be typical for this type of boat. The sides above chines will be unpainted. From what I have read and seen so far, the convex and or concave hull shapes creates gaps between 2 straight pieces when they are set to the contour. The idea is to use the router as if I was cutting out a shaped piece of wood with a template. The previously installed piece would essentially be the template for the next piece. If it goes as planned, it should create a perfect fit with just one pass of the router instead of scribing and hand planning each piece.

My Dad once told me that I reminded him of his Dad. He said his dad would spend the whole day making a tool to do a job that only took an hour. With that said. Am I looking for an easier way to do this. You bet. But I am also looking for a better finished product.
Packy & Justin

Soon To Be Amateur Boat Builders

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm with you on spending extra time to hopefully get a better result.

Not to rain on your parade (there being no stupid questions - only stupid answers) but from what I understand you would be 'following' an installed piece with the adjacent piece clamped next to it to 'router cut it to fit'.

First hick up, clamping the next piece on

Second, with only 1/8" thick material can't sat as I've ever seen a bearing that thin

Thirdly, running a flat based router along a compound curved surface could get interesting

My ZIP was ply only, but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that a quality, sharp small plane will you get you what you want.

Be worth a trial on the bench to test the concept, I'm all in Favour of thinking outside the box.

My keel and skeg were on solid 1-3/4" thick piece - with a dado to accept the bottom ply. Good Luck and keep us posted.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:52 pm

check out this thread or search "spiling"
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16001&p=120335&hil ... ng#p120335
photo from Bob Perkin's post in this thread
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:57 am

I am curious about the using of fiberglass cloth on the bottom of a cold molded bottom. That is going to be epoxyed together any way. I go to a the Antique Boat center every winter to work shops and see a lot of cold molded bottoms being installed on boats and none of them are fiberglassed clothed over. You will have epoxy on the out side of the last piece installed as well as in between. They put a two part barrier coat on and then paint the bottom color on.
I also would think that 3/8 plywood on the sides is a little thin for a boat that size maybe more like 1/2"
Just my opinion.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 am

You don't need the fiberglass cloth for strength or waterproofing, but it adds some protection against abrasion.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".