Bench top sander

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

largej

Bench top sander

Postby largej » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:55 pm

I am just looking for some feedback on what kind of sander is the best for the woodworking I will be doing building a small boat (tiny tintan)? If you could only have one on your bench, what would it be? I have a budget number in mind of not to exceed $150. While this is my 1st build, I hope there will be more so I want to have utility in mind as well.
Thanks - Jim

slug

Re: Bench top sander

Postby slug » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Jim; I think if I was to hae one sander I would go for a 4 x 24 (or smaller if budget required it ) portable belt sander. You will use it a lot in fairing on the hull. You could always build a set up to mount it as an edge sander on top of a bench or table. It would then become very handy for sanding frames to the finished line after cutting oversize with the jigsaw. Lots of bang for the buck.

Doug

galamb

Postby galamb » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:25 pm

That's a tough one -

I have a belt sander, disc (orbital), 1/4 sheet, 1/3 sheet and a mouse sander. They all have their "own jobs" which is why there is a variety. I also have a (mounted) spindle sander which I use a lot.

If I could only have two (because I think 1 is way too restrictive) I would keep the belt and either the 1/4 sheet or the disc (would have to flip a coin).

With your 150 dollar budget you could easily pick up three or four that I have mentioned above if you don't want the "top shelf name brand" that you see on the DIY channel.

I think I paid 20 bucks for my 1/3 sheet a good few years back to do some drywall sanding - bought a cheap one because I figured I would fry it anyhow - been going strong and the finish it leaves isn't any worse than you would get from a Dewalt costing 5 or 6 times as much.

Quality sandpaper, like quality saw blades, is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the machine driving it...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 am

If you have a drill press you can turn it into a spindal sander with sanding drums. Then spend the money on a good belt sander.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:55 am

I think there are a couple of things to think about when buying a belt sander.
First is how heavy it is, you are going to be using it at different angles when faring different parts of your boat.
The other is dust collection. Belt sander take can take off a lot of material and create a lot of saw dust. I would look for one that you are able to easily hook up a hose to your shop vac.
I use a 3x18 belt sander in my custom furniture business for 25years and still use that size to day.
I use Craftsman because of there warranty.
jeff

largej

Postby largej » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks - I should have been more specific but glad I was not. As a novice, all information and tips are good escpecially the MacGyver ones. I was looking for feedback on benchtop stationary sanders such as disc or disc/belt combo. I have shop vacs to spare....
Right now I have a pretty good Mikita belt sander and palm sander.
Maybe that is all I need given the input to this post -- spend $150 elsewhere
Jim

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:17 am

Jim

I use my Disc/Belt bench sander so much that it is almost never put away. when I wore out my Makita hand belt sander I got a Porta Cable. The PC must weigh 1 1/2# more. Man will it eat some wood. but, it will eat you up on vertical or inverted surfaces.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:01 am

Jim... Many on this forum use the Rigid Sanding Station, available at Home Depot for around $200. Honestly it was the best tool investment I made when building my boat. It transforms from a belt sander to a spindle sander in less than a minute, and you can set the table at any angle you like. I could probably have done without it, but I can't imagine how!!! There are higher quality ones out there, but for the money, you can't beat the Rigid.... Neel

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:16 am

I also have the Ridgid sanding station and find it invaluable, too!!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

bob smith

Re: Festool

Postby bob smith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:59 am

A good friend let me use his Festool disc sanders along with the Festool hepa dust extraction system. WOW!
High end tools but unmatched performance and virtually dust-free. Wish I could afford them. http://www.festoolusa.com/
They have a neat jigsaw too.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

hdunk

Postby hdunk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I also have the Ridgid sanding station have used it for furniture (white and red oak) and custom kitchen cabinets.. They are Great
Getting ready to start a Titan,

Welcome home our military...
USAF Retired.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:42 am

this is what I own http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-x-4 ... -6852.html I know there are some on here that don't like their power tools but I have gotten some pretty good ones from them. :wink: The one above is cast iron they do have a cheaper model http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x-3 ... 97181.html
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

cusoak

Postby cusoak » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:32 am

I also have the small of the 2 belt and drum sanders. I is a good unit for the price. Used it on a lot of different projects including my Zip build. The other thing you can do is to buy a 4x24 hand held belt sander and make your self a bench top stand to hold it and do the same thing as with the satationary ones, but you have 2 tool in one.
Jeff

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:57 am

+1 for the Rigid! I have one, and love it. The belt sander feature gets used more than the spindles.

Return to “Tool Talk”