Irwin Quick Clamp on Sale - Amazon $16

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

Lowka53

Re: Irwin Quick Clamp on Sale - Amazon $16

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:27 pm

:? I have never had good luck with that type of clamp :roll: they seem to break to easy no matter what brand :!:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Used 'em for years as a carpenter and no problems with them breaking.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

slug

Postby slug » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:02 pm

I recently picked up a set of 6 Irwins at HD for $35....not the two way ones though.
Don't see that as a deal. They are good clamps imho.
Doug

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:39 pm

gdcarpenter wrote:Used 'em for years as a carpenter and no problems with them breaking.
well they broke for me as a carpenter/general contractor/ cabinetmaker maybe I used them to hard. :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Ronb172

Postby Ronb172 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Rod, you must work out a lot and be really buff. I haven't broken one yet but then I'm old and getting weak.....lol At least I can still hold a wine glass
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Ronb172 wrote:Rod, you must work out a lot and be really buff. I haven't broken one yet but then I'm old and getting weak.....lol At least I can still hold a wine glass
:lol: I am not buffed any more but used to be also my employee's was hard on equipment when you use stuff every day no matter how good they eventually break. I do still have equipment that has lasted I still have a 80 year old drill press that works great that was my grandfathers. But my tools have been abused I started working in wood when i was 16 years old professionally I am going on 61 now. the pipe bar clamps I have found to be the best then the steal bar clamp that a lot of use use these days next. the spring on the retching system of these clamp break and the advancement clogs wear out the screw type mech's in the clamps i have talked about as long as you keep them lubed seem to never seem to ware out. I have one set of bar clamps that are sixty years old that was my fathers the still work but finally after all these years are started to slip. And back to the buffed part I used to move and set 8' - 10ft glass light side panel with steel doors myself. Doing stuff like that could be part of the reason I am so beat up today :lol: :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Ronb172

Postby Ronb172 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Using equipment every day makes a huge difference when it comes to buying tools. I don't use use my tools every day to earn a living so I buy a lot of my stuff from Harbor Freight. I have a hand power planner from HF that works great and has been a life saver, but I'd never buy it if I used it daily on paying jobs. And Rod, I've never been buff.....lol. Always tried.
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:24 am

Ronb172 wrote:Using equipment every day makes a huge difference when it comes to buying tools. I don't use use my tools every day to earn a living so I buy a lot of my stuff from Harbor Freight. I have a hand power planner from HF that works great and has been a life saver, but I'd never buy it if I used it daily on paying jobs. And Rod, I've never been buff.....lol. Always tried.
:lol: I am in the inside track club with Harbor freight, I found that it was cheaper in the long run to buy the best cheep tools you could find than pay more for name brand stuff. the skill saw i used every day was a old craftsmen it had been dropped from walls kicked and cut so much wood I left it to be sold with my farm but it still ran great. have worn out worm gear saws and many others i have had saws that didn't last a day of the big brand stuff. so name brand is no assurance that a tool is going to last. I have a Harbor freight thickness planer it gives me better results that some of the 2000.00 ones i have used. I also have the hand power planner from harbor freight and i buy most of my clamps these days from them and big lots. :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Return to “Tool Talk”