retrofiting clamps

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

TAB

retrofiting clamps

Postby TAB » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:53 pm

I would rather not use my good clamps( read that as the clamps I make my living with) when it comes to building a boat. I was on youtube not too long ago watching one of my fav wood workers retro fitting clamps. any one try this?

https://youtu.be/AyKiGmRq3wY

hoodman

Re: retrofiting clamps

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:54 pm

I have those clamps. They have not been terribly useful in the boat build so far. Generally you'll need shorter deeper reach clamps. Cheap spring clamps are good as well as the deeper reach HFT bar clamps (the ones with the blue jaws)

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:05 am

I have to agree with Matt. I have some of those clamps and don't recall using them during the Torpedo build. Possibly in the Zip or Super Spartan, but I can' remember for what. The Erwin clamps, C clamps and the spring clamps are useful along with ratchet straps for pulling in chines, shears and battens are useful.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:35 am

The only place I used my long clamps was when adding the veneer to the transom cutout. Like Roberta and Mat said, the other clamps are far more useful. I agree with Matt on the Harbor Freight slide clamps as well (blue jaws). They are very inexpensive and good quality, especially since I found I needed many of them.

IMG_20150830_160932.jpg

IMG_20150902_181842.jpg

IMG_20140520_053839.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:47 pm

Interesting video......but completely overkill, IMO

Maybe I'm the odd-man-out here, but I bought Harbor Freight bar clamps, saved a ton of dough....and when this boat is done, they'll most likely be tossed. Babysitting & tweaking them, like that video, isn't worth it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-bar ... 96210.html

They're so covered in epoxy & amine blush, they're sticky & all around pretty disgusting. They function...though I often need to knock the epoxy drips off the bars so they'll slide free. Once removed from the job at hand, they get tossed into a milk crate until the next time I need them.

6".....$2.99.....fully functional....and basically disposable.

Return to “Tool Talk”