One Handed type Bar Clamps

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

largej

One Handed type Bar Clamps

Post by largej » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:15 am

Anyone know if these clamps - like Irwin - have a life expectancy as it relates to holding strength? I.e., do they lose holding power as they get old? Also, I occasionally use 'Dry-Lube' silicone spray on them to keep them in working order and wonder if this might contribute to them wearing out?
I never opened one up to look at the mechanism.
Thanks - Jim

sproggy

Re: One Handed type Bar Clamps

Post by sproggy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:47 am

I've never opened one up either but I have to imagine that they rely to a certain extent upon friction between bar and movable clamp to maintain pressure. I have some that have withstood years and years of use and abuse and show no sign of losing their holding strength......but I haven't been spraying them with a very slippery liquid!

I've never seen any manufacturer recommendation to lubricate so I'd stay well clear of oil, silicone spray etc.

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:15 pm

I have used them for years (by Vise Grip). They haven't lost strength, but the operator has :wink: The ones I use don't have much to wear out, three bits of steel with a slot for the bar, a couple of springs, the gripper, and the bar. I use them all the time and the finish hasn't even worn off.

Silicon lube on the other hand might not be a good idea. If silicon gets on the wood it can mess up the finish.

TAB

Post by TAB » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm

I have a bunch of them form when I owned a cabinet shop.( you can never have too many clamps.)

my exp is they do wear out after a few years of every day use and they don't like glue on the bar. I would never use them to clamp up a glue up or to pull a joint together. as a "quick clamp" while you do a something else( drill for a screw, make a make a mark and etc) they are fine.