Ridgid 14" bandsaw

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

mrintense

Re: Ridgid 14" bandsaw

Post by mrintense » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:27 pm

TomB wrote:I have lost confidence in this machine for resawing now that I've done some research. 3/4 HP and aluminum wheels might not be up to the task. Now I want something BIGGER!!!!!!!
Tom I understand the sentiment. But you should ask yourself of how much usage you will get from the the bigger saw. Not trying to be the lecturer here, simply making an observation. I've found so far that my resaw needs have been reasonably handled by the lumber yard and at a lower price than a large bandsaw. On the other hand, my smaller WEN 10 inch bandsaw has met my needs for everything else I've had to do.

On the other hand, if you have the means and the place to put one, and enough intended usage, why not. Wishy washy, perhaps, but everybody's situation is different.

For me practicality and a desire to stay focused on the boat prevented me from getting involved in building a special shop and buying a lot of expensive power tools that I knew I would likely only use for the boat.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Carl,

Happy to read you are on the mend. You hit the nail on the head. One of the little voices in my head is saying exactly that. The other voice, sounds a lot like Tim Allen, is encouraging me to spend money.

I use the bandsaw a lot. The 3 HP Rikon is on sale, the Laguna will be on sale, either takes weeks to get. I'll use the Ridgid for now and maybe those pesky urges will go away.

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:56 am

Of course it's not all correct thinking on my part concerning the bandsaw. I too wanted one of those super nice saws as well as a nice table saw. What saved my from these purchases was the absolute lack of space in my garage. As it is, I have to move the bandsaw and table saw around just to use them Table saw has to be moved outside. I even have to use a fold up table as my primary workbench and that gets set up in my driveway every time I work on the boat.

What this means to in the back of my mind is that I need to sell my house in the subdivision, buy a nice house in the country with 10 or 20 acres, build a full blown boat house / garage/ shop. Outfit it with all the latests and nicest shop tools. Make sure I have a paved driveway to the back and front of the garage. Make sure the garage has double opening doors at both ends (hey shouldn't have to back the trailer into the garage right?). You get the picture.

Of course reality is somewhat different! :roll: :roll: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 am

Funny you should mention the front and back garage doors, Carl. We have the hangar door in the back and the garage doors in the front. We usually drive in the back access road and drive through our back yard entering the garage/ hangar from the runway side. Instead of taxiing a plane through the back yard, we pull the boat into the hangar now. Much easier than backing in off the street. :lol:

BTW:: By the Laguna. They do offer several nice saws that are considerably less than what I paid for my 14 SUV.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 am

According to the news this morning, my tool/shop/boat... oh, and the plane and a place to park it (thanks for the reminder Roberta) piggybank is over $400 million...assuming I win the lottery :D :D :D

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:37 am

Roberta wrote:Funny you should mention the front and back garage doors, Carl. We have the hangar door in the back and the garage doors in the front. We usually drive in the back access road and drive through our back yard entering the garage/ hangar from the runway side. Instead of taxiing a plane through the back yard, we pull the boat into the hangar now. Much easier than backing in off the street. :lol:

BTW:: By the Laguna. They do offer several nice saws that are considerably less than what I paid for my 14 SUV.

Roberta :D
These are things I wish I could have. I'm glad that you and others can have them. It makes it nice to live where these things are possible. My HOA would have a conniption fit if I ever tried to do any of these things! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper