Older craftsman saw dilemmas

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

DonBing

Postby DonBing » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:44 pm

fehujber didn't specify whether the front or the rear of blade was closer to the slot. If the rear is closer and the fence in good adjustment (i.e. parallel w/ the slot) he'll never achieve a satisfactory cut and there will be a tendency for the wood to burn, especially the harder ones. A lot of wood nuts I know set their fence to angle slightly (1/64) away from the blade. They claim a better and safer cut.

I really believe this: you can and should get the blade parallel to the miter slot. Just loosen the trunnion bolts and tap the table or the trunnion assembly. It takes less time to do this than drink a beer. Well, maybe :wink: . At this point I am building the the 'furniture' that goes in my Hunky Dory. The blade alignment is important for any jigs or fixtures that make use of the miter gauge slot. In my case it is a tenon jig and crosscut sled.

Don

Don

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:22 pm

upspirate wrote:Can a saw be aligned accurtely after 3-4 beers anyway????!!!! :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink: :wink:

who cares?

3 MORE beers and you can throw the saw away and cut everything by hand! lol
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

fehujber

Re: Older craftsman saw dilemmas

Postby fehujber » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:08 am

Well 6 years have passed since my initial post. The Bullet is still not done. I added a kegger to the mix, AND I finally disassembled the whole saw, cleaned everything up and reassembled. I followed all the specs I could find and got her down to .0015 runout. If only I could see the line......Now I am happy, and maybe I'll finish the Bullet this year.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:26 am

:lol: my wish you luck some how I missed your old posts and I have been on the forum for awhile. four years into my build and no farther than I was the first year :roll: :( I think we need to get busy and leave the beer alone until after the days work on the boat. :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

shandman

Postby shandman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:47 am

I'm 3.5 years into my Bullet build, but I am definitely getting close to finishing up.
Art Shand

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:34 am

shandman wrote:I'm 3.5 years into my Bullet build, but I am definitely getting close to finishing up.
Well look at this way if we wanted quick we would have bought a Tupperware boat :lol: and probably not of enjoyed it as much. I find that working on the boat and my many other projects helps fill out my day. But I am retired and not ready to take the big sleep yet so I must stay active :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Tool Talk”