Which Reciprocating Saw ("Sawzall") to Get???

Let's all discuss the tools here

Moderators: BruceDow, billy c

John B

Which Reciprocating Saw ("Sawzall") to Get???

Post by John B »

I am in need of a reciprocating saw to use in rehabbing homes.

I'd prefer a cordless model, and one that is capable of some heavy-duty work under less than ideal circumstances.

Can you all help me get the biggest bang for my buck?

Thanks!

ClarkGriswald

Post by ClarkGriswald »

I know that the porter cables, and some others ( I think) have a setting that makes em not only reciprocate but kinda go up and down a bit also, this makes for some serious destruction if your into that. Buddy of mine bought a used one once at a yard sale and it was on that setting the first time he went to rip into something . hahah never laughed so hard at that thing shaking him around like a rag doll plus the frustrated look on his face, nice if ya know its supposed to do that first hehe. Cant go wrong with the milwaukee sawzall/supersawzalls, to me those are the standard and I often use one to cut up all sorts of steel stock for diff projects or whatnot. So theyre ok for that as long as ya remember to try and keep 3 or 4 teeth in a cut (ie thinner metal more/finer teeth. thicker metal less teeth faster cut.) hope that helps.

John B

Post by John B »

Thanks for the tips!

If anyone else has an opinion on this, I'd love to hear them also!

DonBing

Post by DonBing »

Years ago I purchased the super sawzall. Great tool but I bit on the heavy side. Since I seem to use the tool mostly unsupported it does get tiring. If I had both I'd use the lighter one first.

Don

John B

Post by John B »

Thanks, Don!

Has anyone had any experiences with the new Lithium Battery Powered saws?

DonBing

Post by DonBing »

Not with saws. But the li-ion battery capacity is impressive. On our last traffic counting contract we used the Hilti 36V hammer drill. We could drill all day through asphalt and concrete to fasten the counters down.

gfunk

Re: Which Reciprocating Saw ("Sawzall") to Get???

Post by gfunk »

I have just redone my home using mostly makita 18v LI tools the sawsall is great took out walls no problem, as far as metal only done a little bit with it but cut very well. Fast charging long lasting.

Gfunk

Cranky Badger

Post by Cranky Badger »

Not a cordless, but I've got a porter as well. Yeah - being able to change the stroke is nice, but the feature I like best is that the drive end rotates and locks every 90 degrees. Think about...say...undercutting an upper sill plate for example, and having the teeth facing up without having to flip the saw over and pull the trigger with your little finger.
The tool-less blade change speeds things up a lot too.
-Brian

"Do or do not. There is no try."
- Yoda

John B

Post by John B »

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

John,

I've got a cheapo off-brand B&D (Firestarter...or something like that) that I use for most light jobs. I also have an awesome Li-powered Hilti that is, well, built like a tank and weighs like one too. I find that I use the cheapo a lot more since it is light and easy to handle. But nothing beats the blazing cutting power of the Hilti. You might think of a good compromise. Milwaukee has a really good, and reasonably priced, Li-powered saw.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

John B

Post by John B »

Thanks, Bill.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Return to “Tool Talk”