Trailer bunk setup for inboards.

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Roberta

Trailer bunk setup for inboards.

Postby Roberta » Tue May 30, 2017 6:02 am

I've been tweaking my trailer bunks looking to get the best arrangement for the Torpedo. My original setup worked very well with one exception. The bow "V" block was not well designed for this boat and was scraping paint off the stem area and actually bent the bottom edge of the cutwater because it was pinching the boat as it slid in. I noticed some woody boats were using some additional bunks up front to provide a nice perch for the bow, instead of the "V" block.

This winter, after repairing paint damage from the "V" block, we decided to add the extra bunks and remove the "V" block. This has worked our very well and supports the bow nicely without damaging the hull. The basic boat is supported by the main bunk system, while the front bunks guide the boat onto the trailer and provide some support to prevent the bow from dipping and rocking during transport. I noticed right away as I guided the boat on to the trailer that the front bunks, which are higher when launching and retrieving, would help guide the boat on and keep it aligned on the trailer. This insured that the boat was properly centered on the trailer in both the bow and stern, even while the stern was still floating. Here is a picture of what we hope is the final modification of the trailer.

We also did a small mod on the goal post bow stop to move the boat a few inches forward. This increased the tongue weight to a proper amount and eliminated some slight lane changing sway we were experiencing. Now she trails as solid as a rock.

Roberta
Attachments
20170527_063636.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Re: Trailer bunk setup for inboards.

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue May 30, 2017 7:19 am

Thanks for sharing, a good trailer setup is a must. Your trailer is very nice, the bunks are adjustable and articulate to rest flat on the boat. I welded mine in fixed position, too bad they're not welded in the best locations. More lessons learned and more still to learn.

I need to do some tweaking, it pulls nice but the angle the boat sits on the trailer is wrong. It makes recovery a challenge.
Matt B

Roberta

Re: Trailer bunk setup for inboards.

Postby Roberta » Tue May 30, 2017 7:47 am

Thanks, Matt. Loadmaster designs their trailers with adjustability in mind. Many custom trailers need to be tweaked as it is nearly impossible to make the bunk position right without the boat on hand. They use 1/2" U-bolts, channel iron and backing plates to ensure the positioning is well maintained. I really like this trailer a lot.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Trailers and trailering”