Which Side Backing?

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bill Edmundson

Which Side Backing?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Which side do you prefer to turn the boat into a tight space?

I prefer to have the right/starboard side on the inside of the turn and use the mirrors. I can look over my right shoulder and see the trailer move also. The left side, I have a better angle to see the "blind side".

I know this is just a preference. But, just curious how others feel.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Re: Which Side Backing?

Postby slug » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 pm

Bill; Just to throw you a curve, when I'm parking my Gentry in the garage (3" clearance!) I use the FRONT trailer hitch I installed on my Ranger!
Easy Peasy!

Doug

kens

Postby kens » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Most of the time I only look at the driver (left) side, I walk around to see if in fact I got width clearance, then hug the driver side tight.
Sometimes I lay out a chock or a marker to be sure to hug the marker, then I know my width is on target.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 am

I always have the left/port side on the inside of the turn when backing up if at all possible.

A habit that comes from having done a year of long haul trucking, backing up 53' trailers into narrow loading bays and truck stop parking areas between two adjacent 53' trailers. That is the only way, being in the drivers seat, that you can see the side of the trailer in the drivers side mirror and/or out the drivers side window. In trucking backing up the reverse way is commonly called the 'blind sided' way.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:59 am

When I had the jon boat, I could not see the empty trailer if it was lined up straight behind the truck. So I generally preferred to back down the ramps in a slight curve if possible so I could keep my eye on the drivers side wheel.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:07 am

I guess my preference for the right comes from the configuration of our condo and the boat ramp. The area is fairly cramped. I would have to do a 360* someplace to get to the left side.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Trailers and trailering”