Craigslist Trailer Advice

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Milhouse

Craigslist Trailer Advice

Post by Milhouse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm

What do you all think of these possible trailers for my Glen-L 17 Overnighter? I have not idea what features to look for.

Option 1: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/tro ... 45148.html

Option 2: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tro ... 26325.html

Option 3: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/tro ... 03308.html
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

neel thompson

Re: Craigslist Trailer Advice

Post by neel thompson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 am

The only advice I can give is that if you are going the painted trailer route, check everything for rust. I had a bass boat on a painted trailer several years ago and the rails had all rusted from the inside out and I was only miles away from a total trailer failure when I found the rust. It appeared all over the trailer frame on the bottom side, so you wouldn't see it unless you got under it. I would stay with a galvanized trailer if buying used. I have bought several used trailers for under $1,000 and found that by the time I had them road worthy and set up correctly to haul a boat, I am guessing I had to spend an additional $500 to $800 to get them up to speed. Once in a while I through my two cents in here.... so there it is.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:06 am

Those seem to be only minimally adjustable so they will have to be a close fit. Also, they look like they could stand to use a good bit of fixing up and maybe some beefing up. You gotta ask yourself what your time is worth and you have gotta be sure its going to fit. How far and how often do you plan on towing? The last place I think I want to be is on the side of the highway on a Sunday evening. I think I'd be inclined to talk to some trailer builders first. Or even just a welder who could build from the glen-l trailer plans. You might be surprised at how much you have invested into an old trailer by the time you get it where it needs to be compared to a new one.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:15 am

I bought a new galvanized trailer and I'm really glad I don't have to worry about renovating some Craigslist "deal." I was able to find a distributor who sells to boat dealers and got a really good deal. Take a look at some trailer parts (etrailer is a good source) and start adding up what you likely might need for these old trailers and I think you'll find it won't be a whole lot more to just buy a new one. You're probably looking at: new tires (even if the tread looks good age can be a big problem), winch, bunks and carpet, bearings, jack, lights, wiring, paint. I just didn't want to get into all of that on top of building the boat itself.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:51 am

And, a spare wheel and tire.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 pm

I also looked at the used trailer route, then finally decided to go brand new aluminum. Glad I did.
When you figure all the parts, time, & money to get a used one up to par, you are likely within a few dollars of new.
I shopped on Ebay, found a popular seller, and called him direct, bought it for a low bid on Ebay, then had him add on some stuff.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Thank you all for the advice! Seems like a consensus that new is the way to go.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 pm

I’ve gone the used route on both my boats , Squirt & Malahini. Everyone is correct that the $150 trailer is going to need some combination of lights, bunks,, carpet, tires, bearings and maybe springs. Can you weld? Good skill set to have when wrestling with a trailer.
How nice do you want your trailer to show off your boat? Mine look more like old hay wagons. Both have made the 1200 mile trip from Texas to the Gathering and home with no hiccups.
Good luck
Matt B
Attachments
B7A1BE23-39C6-42E9-B5B2-164EB4F8C329.png
About $550 in this trailer

Return to “Trailers and trailering”