buying a used boat/trailer/motor

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

jschurz

buying a used boat/trailer/motor

Post by jschurz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm going to start looking for a used boat in order to get a trailer and motor for my Malahini. Do I have to find a boat that's also 16' or would the Malahini fit on a trailer that was being used for a 14' or 18' boat? I guess I'm just wondering how long the trailer has to be. Thanks for the help!

Roberta

Re: buying a used boat/trailer/motor

Post by Roberta » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:29 am

Most trailers have a range for boat size and the winch post can be adjusted for and aft to accommodate boat lengths. Also consider the GVW of the trailer to ensure it can handle the weight of the boat and a boat with bunks is better for wood hulls.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:18 am

Agreed, while some winch posts are welded to the trailer most are adjustable and the trailer should have adjustable, carpeted bunks as well. You will need enough adjustability for the bunk to lay directly under a batten for proper support. Just stay away from trailers that use all rollers, you want bunks for wood boats.

It can be tough to find a suitable motor/trailer combo but the chase is all part of the fun. Good luck.

jschurz

Post by jschurz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks guys!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 am

vupilot wrote:Agreed, while some winch posts are welded to the trailer most are adjustable and the trailer should have adjustable, carpeted bunks as well. You will need enough adjustability for the bunk to lay directly under a batten for proper support. Just stay away from trailers that use all rollers, you want bunks for wood boats.

It can be tough to find a suitable motor/trailer combo but the chase is all part of the fun. Good luck.
Truer words have never been spoken!

The fact that one basic trailer design can be adapted to a variety of boats is born out by Glen-L's Series 1200/1800 plans. This design will handle ANY boat from say 14' up to around 20'. That's a wide variety of boats.

One thing that needs to be emphasized is that, with whatever trailer and boat combination you end up with, you need to have around 60 to 70 pounds of weight on the tongue. This will insure that the trailer is NOT tail heavy. A tail heavy trailer, or even too light of a tongue weight, will cause a severe oscillation to set up with each cycle getting worse and worse until you crash. This cannot be overstated. I had this happen to me a number of years ago. I was running a lot of pick up trucks and landscape trailers with my business. One day I needed to move two trucks and I was alone. So I put one truck on the trailer and pulled it with the other truck. I didn't stop to make sure that I was balanced correctly. I was traveling down the interstate at about 60mph when a tractor-trailer rig blew past me. The wind turbulence from the OTR truck was all that was needed to cause my rig to start doing the snake dance. (oscillation) There was absolutely nothing I could do and it kept getting worse and worse until, at one point, I was simply a passenger. The crash totalled the truck I was driving, twisted my trailer like a pretzel and severely damaged the truck I was towing. It turned out to be a very costly mistake. You could easily fall into this trap if you get a trailer that is too small. Get a trailer that is too big and you'll be safe.

I'm going to add this final thought. For all of the effort that is put into the building of a fine wooden boat, I'm amazed at the number of people that go searching for trailers when Glen-L offers a trailer plan for every one of their trailerable designs. I built the trailer for my Zip and it was EASY!! I used my old MIG welder, a chop saw, an angle grinder to clean up rough edges and a cutting torch was handy if I needed it. I ended up with very little money in the trailer and it turned out looking so professional that many who've seen it wouldn't believe that I build it myself. I suppose that people are just intimidated by metal fabbing and welding. But, if you become frustrated in your search for a used trailer, DO consider builing one of your own. You'll pick up a new skill, have some more cool tools and have another source of pride in your boat.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 am

Dave Grason wrote:
I'm going to add this final thought. For all of the effort that is put into the building of a fine wooden boat, I'm amazed at the number of people that go searching for trailers when Glen-L offers a trailer plan for every one of their trailerable designs. I built the trailer for my Zip and it was EASY!! I used my old MIG welder, a chop saw, an angle grinder to clean up rough edges and a cutting torch was handy if I needed it. I ended up with very little money in the trailer and it turned out looking so professional that many who've seen it wouldn't believe that I build it myself. I suppose that people are just intimidated by metal fabbing and welding. But, if you become frustrated in your search for a used trailer, DO consider builing one of your own. You'll pick up a new skill, have some more cool tools and have another source of pride in your boat.
[/quote]

Dave,

I sure will strongly consider building my own now.

BillJ

BillJ

Post by BillJ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:39 am

Which is exactly what I decided to do. Ordered the plans from Glen L yesterday.

Return to “Trailers and trailering”