Electric, Electric/Hydraulic, or Hydraulic Surge

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Jimbob

Re: Electric, Electric/Hydraulic, or Hydraulic Surge

Postby Jimbob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 pm

You mentioned drum brakes. My previous trailer had drum brakes and worked with a 4 pin connector.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:04 pm

After much thought and internal debate I am going with surge w/disks with an electric lockout (5 pin connector).

They disks are only a only few hundred more and are much easier to inspect and clean and should last a lot longer from what I hear.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

kens

Postby kens » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:03 am

Milhouse wrote:After much thought and internal debate I am going with surge w/disks with an electric lockout (5 pin connector).

They disks are only a only few hundred more and are much easier to inspect and clean and should last a lot longer from what I hear.

If your going for the lower maintenance trailer, dont overlook the Torsion axles. Torsion axles get rid of leaf springs & hangers.
I got the tandem, torsion axle, surge/disc trailer, I would never go back to the other types be it fresh water or salt.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Ken - I think the ship has sailed on the axles for this boat but I will consider it for my next trailer (for the sailboat) for sure!

Edit - on Second thought: I'll take a look and see if I can mount them to the trailer without too much modification and crazy cost adders.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Trailers and trailering”