Winch Recommendations

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Milhouse

Winch Recommendations

Post by Milhouse » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:27 pm

Any recommendations for adding a winch to this setup?

The bow eye is pretty high so I may need to add a cantilevered piece for a winch platform?

If I did add a winch do you recommend a particular one?
Attachments
bow winch.jpg
winch 2.jpg
winch mockup.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Re: Winch Recommendations

Post by mrintense » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:03 pm

I'm not a boating expert by any means Jim, but the cantilever approach looks doable. A few suggestions/questions/ideas to consider.

1. Would it look better and be easier to just make an entirely new winch stand?
2. Do you anticipate ever wanting to adjust the ratchet mechanism for height or fore and aft movement?
3. If you go the cantilever route, I think it might be necessary to gusset the joints to insure it's strong enough to take the force necessary to jack the boat up.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:13 pm

Carl - Making an entirely new one would be doable and indeed may look better / less of a kluge. Perhaps it would be a straight shot to the winch and then an adjustable piece to hold the bow bumper.

I don't anticipate having to move the winch fore and aft, I imagine that most COTS trailers have the adjustability such that they can fit a wider variety of hull shapes.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:31 am

You want to pull in line with the bow eye. The way it is, the closer you get to the winch you are pulling the boat down with more and more force. This is the same problem I have on my trailer. I put my bow eye too high so now I need to modify the trailer.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:21 am

hoodman wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:31 am
The way it is, the closer you get to the winch you are pulling the boat down with more and more force.
Ah now this is the first time I have heard something about bow eyes and winches that makes sense. By pulling down more and more it's harder and harder to move the boat forward. If pulling up or in line, there is less force downward on the boat making for somewhat less friction.

On another note, I've heard that from a towing standpoint, mounting the bow eye lower is preferable, but I don't know this for a fact.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:41 am

Carl, ideally you want the bow eye to be just below the bow stop or roller. So if the bow eye is lower you don't need a gigantic winch post.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:59 pm

You might want to study the setup that was on the custom trailer for the runabout that I used to have. You will notice that the "stop" is lower, and the winch is in line with the bow eye. I would set my trailer down on the ramp so that the fenders were about 1" out of the water in the front, drive the boat on to the trailer, and winch up the last foot or so. (not much winching needed)
The bar that went over the bow eye prevented the boat from moving forward if there was ever an emergency stop while towing. It swung down when the winch was not connected to the bow eye.
Jim
Attachments
20181012_162531_001.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks for the advice Carl, Matt and Jim.

I don't think that I will be moving the bow eye.

It seems like modifying the tower to accommodate the winch and stop is the way to go. I'll post some pics when I make the upgrade.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Trailers and trailering”