Beach dolly a squirt?

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Avisser

Beach dolly a squirt?

Post by Avisser » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:14 pm

My son just bought a dolly for his laser, and it got me thinking.
When I'm ready to flip a squirt could I flip it onto a beach dolly like: https://www.aquacarts.com/merchantmanag ... ucts_id=14 and eventually use that as the squirts primary home?

We have a cottage near the beach of Lake Erie and no rights to build directly on the water. I'm thinking any dolly for a PWC certainly could support a squirt? Might need some mods to lengthen the bunks, or some other tweaks. Then it should be a reasonably easy roll to the beach (100yds or so).

JimmY

Re: Beach dolly a squirt?

Post by JimmY » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:56 am

The bare Squirt hull weighs about the same as a Laser (I used to own a Laser), but the motor adds some weight (~100lbs), so the dolly you are looking at should be fine. The Squirt is still much lighter than a typical PWC. I use a modified jet ski trailer for my Squirt with no issues (moved winch post forward, positioned new bunks under battens).

I hope it is a calm day on Lake Erie before you take your Squirt out there! :shock:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Avisser

Re: Beach dolly a squirt?

Post by Avisser » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:52 am

Most of my cruising will be on Rondeau bay where my boys sail lasers.

Basic goal on the lake side, is to be able to throw the squirt on the lake for an hour or two while it's calm without having to do the 5+ km cruise from the boat launch every time. Lake Erie is moody, so I want to play when she's in a good mood without alot of planning to have the tow vehicle, etc.

Return to “Trailers and trailering”