Trailering the first time

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

sshamilt@gmail.com

Trailering the first time

Post by sshamilt@gmail.com »

I am new to this. I will be building the Slither at 18' over the winter. My shop will be my garage where I will have the std single bay to work in. I have in my mind the workspace, flipping the hull the first time and other ideas. But what I cannot get in my mind is how I will get it on the trailer the first time. How have others approached this?

Roberta

Re: Trailering the first time

Post by Roberta »

I flipped my Torpedo on to dollies. I used a motor hoist to lift the boat onto the dollies. When putting it on the trailer, I used that hoist to lift the bow onto the back of the trailer. I raised the tongue to lower the back and then set the bow on the rear of the bunks. Then moved the hoist to the stern and walked the boat on using the winch line. It helps go wax the boat bottom and wet the bunks.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sshamilt@gmail.com

I did not think of dollies but the hoist did come to mind as did walking the boat onto the trailer with the winch. I will keep the wet bunks in mind. Just have to keep in mind which end needs to face the garage door!
Thanks

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

This is how we did it:

https://youtu.be/0VAozt9RuxI
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

When we put the Torpedo on the trailer, it was completed with engine, seats, everything. The boat weighed about 3000 lbs. at that point. It was completed on the dollies, which spared the trailer from a big mess from finishing decking. Being on the dollies kept the boat lower and more accessible for work and engine installation. The dollies are nice for moving the boat around during construction. I kept them for future use should better access be necessary for bottom maintenance. It was pretty easy to go from dollies to trailer. I would expect reversing the procedure to put the boat back on the dollies will work.

Boat dollies are available for about $600.00 a set and are a good investment for completing a boat and future maintenance. If you can afford the extra expense, I highly recommend them, especially for a larger boat.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey »

Using an engine hoist I lifted the bow and hung it from the lifting eye at the garage door, then lifted the back and rolled the trailer under the boat then lowered the back of the boat onto the trailer and raised the front of the trailer and unhooked the front.
Rich

P1010034.jpeg
P1010039.jpeg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I built a gantry and hoisted the Barrelback up by the engine lift points, that along with a jack on the keel forward did the job.
Matt B
Attachments
B718E4E5-1DAD-41B8-A354-D7AEA4166D06.jpeg

TAB

Post by TAB »

You can also brace your joists with some temporary posts. (I like 2 2x6 one cut to exact length and the other longer to clamp/ screw into the joist) and use the big ratchet straps to lift the boat. I have done this many times over the years to take off as heavy has 5k# boats. You just have to make sure your straps are at the balance points and do not silp. I had a bunch of pics of how to do this on photobucket that are now long gone.

I have done 30ish boats this way. Mainly for painting of trailers, but it works great. It is also fairly cheap as all ypu really need is 8 2xs .

sshamilt@gmail.com

Lot of Ideas here. I did see that it could be flipped onto the trailer which would be at the lightest point in the build but as pointed out, there will be a mess to keep off the trailer during the remainder of the build out.

The engine hoist is the second choice I believe. I can picture lifting the bow and setting it on blocks then lifting the rear. The blocks would have to be far enough back that the trailer beds engage the boat before getting to the blocks. I know that this shows using an eye bolt in the garage door frame but not sure about that. Since the garage is finished, I cannot see how well the framing is done.

I do like the gantry idea. That could work.

I can picture the idea of the straps and the re-enforced joists but my garage/shop is finished. I would likely be shot if I start putting holes in the ceiling.

One main issue in any of these is getting the trailer in. I have a steep sloped drive and this will be my first time driving a trailer, let alone backing a trailer.....

TAB

Post by TAB »

2 engine hoists works just fine too. Its just finding that second one that is always hard. Lift the front and the back. Slide the trailer in and set it down. You do normally have to do it at a sliglt angle to clear the front hoist, but not too hard. You do have to lift it so that the trailer fenders can slip underneath the keel. If its really close a could hundred pounds of ballast on the side of the trailer you need to slide under works. Same with letting the tire go flat. It can give you that last inch you might need. Juat remember to jack it up and hit it hard with air if you pop the beed.

I have done it so many different ways over the years. My fav was when i hired the crame for $175 for 15 mins.

Return to “Trailers and trailering”