Floating instead of winching onto trailer.

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Rich Coey

Re: Floating instead of winching onto trailer.

Post by Rich Coey » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:13 pm

My trailer is a single axle with about a 5 inch drop. The fin is mounted at the front of the engine so it is forward of the axle. With the drop axle, if the fin was centered over it, there would still be enough clearance. With a straight axle it could be a problem. The drop axles also keep the boat lower so it can be launched without having to go into the water as far. Depending on the ramp, it may keep your launch vehicle out of the water.

Rich

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:07 am

The Torpedo plans do not call for a fin and I hadn't planned on installing one. Do many inboard builders actually install them? Should I consider one before I flip the boat?

Roberta :?:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:42 am

Roberta

I have a long low skeg. I think it depends on how you plan to use the boat. You may need a fin for a boat that will be turning hard, like a ski boat. If you just want to cruise and look with easy turns a skeg is the choice.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:20 am

Silly me!! I need to read more of the boat building and motor installation chapters. I think at this point I will go with one or two fins. I see Glen L has the fins with an angled base that should work well fitting it on the VEE'd centerline. I'll ask Gayle to check with Glen on a proper location and if one or two should be used. There was no mention in the Torpedo instructions.

Roberta :D :D

jenko

Post by jenko » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 pm

My trailer is a single axle with about a 5 inch drop
Thanks Rich,Ithink I shall go with a 4'' drop axle ,thats what is available over here.
There was no mention in the Torpedo instructions
Roberta there was also nomention of fin in the Riviera plans but I thought it was an essential addition as I the kids will be water skiing behind it also for some tighter turns in the narrower rivers around here

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:02 pm

I am also looking at a drop axle tandem axle trailer. I think I will use the Glen L 14-294 fin. The motor book suggests placing it just forward of the planing wet area midpoint. That would be under the motor. I have an inquiry in to Gayle and her Dad about this.

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Roberta,

My fin is at the front of the engine. Placement is the tricky part.The fin you are considering with the V is a good idea. If it is not quite right at first it can be moved without too much trouble. I met a Monaco builder from southern California at Bass Lake a few years ago who told me how his boat took so much area to turn
( he did not have a fin ). I took him for a ride to show him the difference, he was impressed and said he was going to add one to his boat. I use my boat on some winding narrow channels on the California Delta and pulling skiers and tubes, it needs to be able to turn sharp at cruising speeds. When you work the throttle and steering right, it will spin around almost on its center. Lots of fun!

Rich

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks Rich!!

Roberta :D :D :D

Return to “Trailers and trailering”