Need Trailer Advice for Gypsy Houseboat

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

HighHope

Need Trailer Advice for Gypsy Houseboat

Postby HighHope » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:41 pm

i purchased the recommended trailer plans for the gypsy so i have some good information on how to build a trailer. but not too sure exactly how to build a trailer specific for gypsy houseboat.

optimal trailer length is 22'
optimal trailer height is ? when considering 15" wheel + tandum fenders?
should trailer have 6" V .. or horizontal cross members? if lower is better, at what width does the trailer have to be in order to avoid hitting the wheel (i imagine this boat with its 8' beam will ride on top of the trailer wheels).

thanks for your advice :)

raymacke

Re: Need Trailer Advice for Gypsy Houseboat

Postby raymacke » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:35 pm

In your situation I believe the hull will have to be placed over the wheels and fenders. The fender height will then dictate the height of the hull on the trailer. I am thinking the Gypsy has a fairly shallow "V" so most likely straight trailer cross members will work but you will need to verify this. When building my trailer I made some templates of the hull bottom shape at different stations. There were nothing more than strips of scrap plywood screwed together. The were then set on the base trailer frame and used to determine the angle of the bunks.

Take a look at the photos on the link below. I think it will give you a better understanding of what I am trying yo describe.

http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/Tralier4.html

Also, here is the link for the first page of my trailer building blog. Certainly no expert build but it will give you and idea of how I went about it -

http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/Tralier1.html
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

HighHope

Postby HighHope » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm

hi raymacke, actually i have read your web page a lot already! that's where i learned about how to fab your own V-shape trailer.. i was originally going to make it just straight across.

from easternmarine.com i see the longest axle they sell is typical 88" track length (tire to tire) which if i remember is a bit smaller than the gypsy which is 84" wide. so gypsy will be above the tires.

gypsy has a 9" V, so i think that is not too much? if the trialer has matching 9" V.. with 3" bunk.. then it will sit a total of 6" below plane. but the shape of the boat, as per the boat frame plans, will mean it is a what height by the trailer tire? that's the key part i suppose..
Attachments
Frame1w.jpg
Frame 1 Width (half of the frame)

HighHope

Postby HighHope » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm

ohhh.. not good. i just mocked up a trailer with 6"V and put the frame 3" above that. with tire width ~85"
Attachments
TrailerFrame_mockup.jpg
Gypsy frame hits tire fender .. not good

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 pm

That was more or less my point. In order to clear the tires and fender the frame will have to sit ABOVE them. When this happens I think the bottom of the V will high enough the trailer can have straight cross members. I don't think it will be necessary to make them a v shape as per my True Grit trailer below -

So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

HighHope

Postby HighHope » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:51 pm

ya, you're right that's the way i'll have to do it. i'll wait to determine what height the bunks need to be installed until after i'm done building the boat.

i'm seriously limited on space.. i literally have to build the trailer first and then build the boat practically right on top of it. not sure how i'm going to flip the boat. the nice thing is with the boat on the wooden build frame (1" above the trailer...) i should be able to get the bunks a perfect fit :)

Return to “Trailers and trailering”