Building vs. buying used

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Craig Aho

Building vs. buying used

Postby Craig Aho » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I have been looking for a trailer for a couple of months and there have been a few but mostly I'm late and there sold before I can make a purchase. Some are roller that I figure I could covert to bunk. I have started thinking about building which I understand would provide a perfect fit for my boat etc. but the bottom line is cost. Can I build a trailer that would be close in cost of a good used one????

Craig

gdcarpenter

Re: Building vs. buying used

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:52 pm

For what it's worth.

I bought a 'donor' boat/motor/trailer when I started building my ZIP. Since my ZIP is a little under 800 lb. loaded for a days outing I did not want a 2,000 lb. or so rated trailer, as I feared the suspension would be too 'stiff' and bounce the boat around. You are right in wanting bunks, not rollers for a woodie

Can 't say as I actually checked the price of new trailers, but all in I put about $1,400.00 into restoring and customizing the donor trailer (60'/61' "Champ"). That was with sandblasting, powder coating, and all new bushings, bolts and hardware. I custom made cradles and bunks that parallel the boat frames and battens.

I heartily recommend the new axle I also put on the trailer. It has the wheel bearings riding in an oil bath with a clear waterproof 'dust cap' and means never having to grease bearings again!

In the end it likely cost me as much as a new trailer but:
It's classic 'retro' style suits the boat
It's custom cradles/battens give the boat the trailer ride it deserves

All the best with your decision making.
Attachments
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:14 am

Thank you GD for your comments. I have enjoyed looking at your zip page with all the nice photos of your building process. You have a beautiful boat. I think I have found a trailer nearby that is a Road Runner trailer, steel but channel not boxed construction. It is a four bunk and the owner has new hardware for the bunks so I can reposition them. It also has a title and is registered and legal for the road. Many trailers I have seen have no paperwork. I will get this tomorrow for 250.00. I will post a picture of it after I get home. If you get a chance take a look at my build on the power boat forum under Sea Knight. Thanks again

Craig

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 am

I found a good deal on a Used Trailer and purchased it yesterday. It towed home nicely and has new tires, swing tongue and winch strap etc. Heavy duty and well maintained for a steel 1979 trailer. QUESTION can I relocate the winch tower forward of the swing tongue pivot point? I will need to do that in order to accommodate my boat length. I may have to fabricate a different tower.

Thanks
Craig
Attachments
DSC01194.JPG
DSC01193.JPG

Return to “Trailers and trailering”