FYI - Oil Bath Axle

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

gdcarpenter

FYI - Oil Bath Axle

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:03 am

For any thinking of a new trailer or refurbishing an old one - you may not be aware of newer oil bath axles available now. They are completely waterproof (NO more wheel bearing greasing!). I bought mine for the '60/'61 "Champ" trailer I refurbished for my ZIP for $225.00 a couple of years ago. Mine has a 1,680 lb. rating. Ran 1,600 miles up and back to Canada and 1,000 miles return to G7 just fine.

I did get a small leak on one hub and found the clear cap was separating between the threads and cover. The great folks at Raleigh Tire and Hitch, where I bought the axle, had salvaged the hubs from a similar axle that was bent beyond repair. Unfortunately one of the donor clear hub caps was also cracked.

They ordered me 2 new caps, that, with the manufacturer neither denying nor admitting guilt, are now aluminum housings with a sight glass, much better. I did keep one of the salvaged hubs and mounted it to my trailer as a spare. The spare has studs and lug nuts vs, mine with lug bolts. They used to spec 50W oil but now call for 80/90W oil.

I drilled and tapped the end of the axle stub and used leftover threaded rod from my bow eye to mount the spare to my trailer cradle.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Roberta

Re: FYI - Oil Bath Axle

Postby Roberta » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:31 pm

I was thinking about getting new hubs for my trailer and now I will look into these. Thanks GD. BTW Nice meeting you at G7.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:09 pm

8) we have used that type of hubs in semi trucks for year they are a good product.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Return to “Trailers and trailering”