BUNK PLACEMENT QUESTION

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Craig Aho

BUNK PLACEMENT QUESTION

Post by Craig Aho » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:18 am

Could anyone advice on how to properly set up the bunks for our wood hulls. It seems that they would be placed midway between the keel and chine? or maybe slightly to the outside of the centerline of the mid point for support/stability of the load? Any feedback welcome. Thanks

Craig
Attachments
DSC01194.JPG

Roberta

Re: BUNK PLACEMENT QUESTION

Post by Roberta » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 am

Nice Trailer!! I don't see one on the trailer, but a roller at the back is a good idea to keep the bow from hitting the trailer frame. You could also add a roller up front for the bow. I attached one to a piece of angle AL I mounted across the trailer frame rails.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:58 am

Line them up with the floor battens on the boat?
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

weller

Post by weller » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:37 pm

I made cardboard cut outs of the frames that are at the front and back of the bunks and adjusted them to fit.
"My mind is on a permanent vacation, the ocean is my only medication"

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Thank you everyone, that is just the info I need. I will follow your suggestions. Thanks

Craig

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Craig,

I can't post pics of the rollers on my trailer in a PM, but here they are.

The front roller is attached to a piece of AL angle which is then attached to a longer AL angle and U-bolted to the frame. Ace hardware sells the AL angle and most boating supply stores like Great Lakes Skipper sells rollers in various shapes and sizes and u-bolts.

The rear roller was already on the trailer, but these are also available as bolt on units. I use a transom saver between the roller and the motor to support the motor and relieve strain on the transom.

Hope this helps,

Attachments
trasiler rollers 001.jpg
trasiler rollers 003.jpg

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Thanks Roberta, Nice photos and they will be a real help as I move forward. I also notice those two drain plugs I have not drilled those holes yet, it is hard to drill holes in my new hull :roll: Thank you again for the speedy reply.

Craig

slug

Post by slug » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:48 pm

I think the correct location of the bunks is as close as possible to the chine. That way they are nearest the strongest area on the bottom of the hull (besides the keel )
The intersection of the bottom ply and the side ply give a really strong section here.

Doug

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:11 pm

So there is no confusion, I have 4 bunks on my Zip trailer. I did not want you to think I only have two that are that close together. The outer two are right at the chines by the transom and are about 5 ft long. The inner two are about 12 inches from the center line of the keel to the center line of the each of the bunks. My bunks are 5/4 outdoor wood planks 6" wide so they can flex a bit to conform to the changing hull shape. The inner bunks are about 8 ft long. I padded the bunks with 3/8" high density closed cell foam and covered that with thick bunk carpet.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:58 pm

For two bunks and a plywood sheeted hull the placement is going to be predicated on the location of the battens. You absolutely do want the bunks to be located directly under a batten.

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm

Looks like I should add two more bunks, not a problem. I like the idea of two bunks on the chines.

Craig

Old aussie

Post by Old aussie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:15 am

I am going thru the same thing with bunk placement ,my thoughts are a bunk under stringers and another one out further to stop any
rocking and rolling .as long as possible to reduce the pressure per square inch.

Old Aussie Peter...

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:25 am

I put 4 bunks on my trailer
2 out under the chine and 2 further in towards the keel.
I am going to also put 2 centering guides back towards the transom. 1 on each side and adjusted so the just touch the side of the boat They will insure that the boat rest's on the trailer in the proper place as it is coming out of the water.
I am also raise my winch up so that I can pull the boat on with my lifting eye.
I find that these boat do not center themselves because of the flat bottoms. I am speaking of the Zip Design
I may also build a carpeted bow stop and attach it to the front part of the trailer. I am trying to make this a drive on trailer like bass boats use.
Jeff

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:26 am

My two existing bunks are up kind of high I think so I am not sure if I can get them much lower due to the existing hardware. I will be adding two more bunks per everyone's suggestions and will have to build a new winch stand I think after the boat is on the trailer so I can fit it to the boat. I think I will move the inner bunks inward toward the keel under my inside battons. Now I just need money for bunk hardware etc. :roll:

Thanks again all
Craig

Return to “Trailers and trailering”