"new" trailer... best paint for refinishing?

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

jprice

"new" trailer... best paint for refinishing?

Post by jprice » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 am

Ok, it's new to me... :D

Got it off CL for $180. Has some surface rust in spots, and some rust inside the frame, but is otherwise solid.
Not really ready for the trailer quite yet, but I just couldn't pass up this deal.

Anyway, I got it all stripped down, and am in the process of cleaning it up:

I already ordered eastwoods internal frame coating to seal up the inside of the frame, but not sure what to do with the outside of the frame.
All the rusted spots will be cleaned up and sanded down to bare metal, and the rest of the good paint will be scuffed up.
I don't want to do the cheap rattle-can approach, but don't want some really expensive automotive 2-part paint either.

Anyone have any decent recommendations for trailer frame paint?

Bill Edmundson

Re: "new" trailer... best paint for refinishing?

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:57 am

Jeff

Brush the rust off the best that you can. Apply CPES to the rust areas. Coat that with an epoxy paint. Paint the entire trailer with a polyurethane paint. This is what is done in a marine environment ( oil rigs, power plants etc.).

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jprice

Post by jprice » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks Bill.

From what I'm reading, Polyester Polyurethane is preferrable (over Acrylic Polyurethane).
All my searching is coming back to AwlGrip paint.
I'm all for a quality product, but the application instructions are a little ridiculous. Special cleaner, special thinner, two different primers, and then the topcoat. :shock:

I not sure if the paint is that sensitive, and all those steps are necessary, or if it's typical manufacturer overkill.
Anyone have a Polyester Polyurethane recommendation? Or am I stuck with the AwlGrip overkill?

slug

Post by slug » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 am

Jeff; My recommendation to you based on my experience with my own trailer build is to take the parts to the galvanizing facility in Atlanta and have it dipped. In Ontario where I had mine done it cost me $400(cash) to do the whole thing. It usually goes by the pound of the unit to be done (go figure?) up here anyway. I'd be pretty safe in assuming your parts would be less than half the weight of mine.
If you spend a couple hundred on paint (don't even consider powder coat...it looks good for a while, but when it starts to lift from rust underneath...it's a bugger to sandblast off) and, have to do it again in a few years...well, you get my drift. Besides the galvanized trailer has a much better resale value.
Doug
Attachments
DSCN0237.JPG
Self built Titan trailer

jprice

Post by jprice » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:59 am

Well, after much internal debating, I decided to go with a simple oil based enamel.
All the "fancy" paints seemed to require perfection in terms of surface preparation, and really seemed more geared towards a new project, rather than a refinishing one. Plus, they're really friggin expensive.
The oil based went on easy, and is easy to touch-up as well.

I figured I'm not making a showpiece here. Just something to get my boat to/from the lake.

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm

When I was just 16 and just starting to drive, my Dad painted our 1947 Desoto with house paint and a brush. It looked like new, lasted for years and I was proud to drive it. It also had enormous seats!
Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Return to “Trailers and trailering”