Trailer for Malahini with cutwater - no bow eye

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

soedesh

Trailer for Malahini with cutwater - no bow eye

Post by soedesh » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:12 pm

So, I am planning to buy a trailer soon. I was hoping to buy something that is as close to what I need, and then modify as required. Since my Malahini has a cutwater, I need to account for that. Here is what I'm thinking, but all advice is accepted!!

(1) Buy a ez-loader trailer (or equivalent) with two bunks, and get the option for the raised winch so that it can pull the boat from the front lifting eye. I want to use a transom-saver so I need a trailer that can accommodate that.
(2) Either purchase with a forward keel roller or fabricate one.
(3) Fabricate something to add a pad to avoid contacting the cutwater. I assume this will either contact the hull on either side of the cutwater, or contact the rub rail on either side of the bow.

How does that sound? I see some trailers that use the roller up front which contacts the cutwater but that sounds like a recipe for a dented cutwater.

Thanks,
Shawn

jprice

Re: Trailer for Malahini with cutwater - no bow eye

Post by jprice » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:15 am

I wouldn't expect a rubber roller to dent a stainless steel cutwater. Maybe one of those padded 'V' blocks would be better?

soedesh

Post by soedesh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:51 am

Well, there is space between the front edge of the cutwater and the hull. So if it got a decent enough bump I think it could deform.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:25 pm

I think your thoughts on the trailer would make for a very nice trailer. Finding one that meets those needs is another story, good luck with your search. Hopefully you can find one that only needs the mods up front and has the right bunks already. Having the winch above whatever the winch strap attaches to on the bow of the boat is key. You cant really use the winch if it pulls down on the strap, it wont help pull the boat forward into the rest/stop.
Since I do have a cutwater I attach my strap to my bow handle which is not ideal and my winch is about a foot lower than the handle so when loading on the trailer I have to physically pull the boat against the stop with one hand on the bow handle and tighten the strap with the other hand. Since the Zip is fairly light and the boat is half floating during that process I get away with it pretty easy and haven't found it necessary to spend the time and money to perfect it. The bigger the boat I think the more you need to have the trailer working perfect for you.

I also have one of those winch posts with the rubber/plastic rollers as a stop that contacts my cutwater. https://plus.google.com/photos/11285674 ... 9575019574
I too was warned to try to find something else that would give more support to the cutwater as damage may occur. I couldn't find anything I could modify simply by myself that I liked any better and after 4 years and probably 4,500 miles of trailering there is not the slightest hint of a problem. The cutwater is pretty sharp and wore a V grove into the soft plastic roller/stop after a few trips, that probably helps spread the load a little. I also put a folded up hand-towel between the stop and the cutwater.

So while not technically ideal, it works just fine for me in practice. At some point you come to a point when things work well enough and you just gotta start enjoying it.

soedesh

Post by soedesh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks vupilot, it really helps to know what has worked for you. I think I may bite the bullet and just buy a new trailer. It is comforting to know that you haven't had any issues with the cutwater when using the roller!

Return to “Trailers and trailering”