Zip trailer set up

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Andy Garrett

Zip trailer set up

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:34 am

After a couple of seasons of trailering my Zip, I thought that it might be helpful to builders who have yet to address trailer options to see what has worked very well for me.

I have tried to be very detailed in my photos.

The trailer was from a '77 15ft BeeCraft (as was the motor). I cleaned and painted it with quality rattle cans.
I pulled the wiring and replaced it with a kit purchased at WalMart. I got it right on the first try.
The lights are LEDs from Gander Mountain. I just have them zip-tied on currently. It works, so I haven't changed it.
The 'goal posts' are also from Gander Mtn and work great without looking too gaudy.
The hitch is a 30" Fulton swing away wich allows me to keep the boat in my garage. It is the bolt on type. Great product I found online.
The winch is new and found at WalMart I believe, The winch tower replaced the old rusty one. It was found on Ebay.
The wheels and tires are Goodyear Marathons and purchased as a package. I ordered them online, but they are available at WalMart.
The wheel bearings were found at Gander Mtn and were fun and easy to install. I also installed bearing savers.
The bunks are new pressure treated 2x4s with new carpet over the tops and sides (Gander Mtn). I used stainless staples with a regular staple gun.
The trailer had only two bunks originally. I added the other two using hardware I found online. They are lined up with the battens.
The rollers are all new and from Gander Mtn. The bow roller is a non-marking poly type.
The landing gear is new from WalMart. It is the swing up type.

What I like most about this set up is the fit. It doesn't look like a big boat on a tiny trailer or a tiny boat on an oversized trailer. It just fits well. It also has steps on the wheel wells to access the interior.

I used plenty of reflecting tape to ward off accidents, Don't forget this item!

The hitch hooks up to the truck (Dodge 1500 4x4) at a level attitude. The axel is in the perfect spot for a well balanced ride, and it tows like a dream. It never bounces, wriggles, or 'walks' side to side. The extra long swing away allows for plenty of room for turning and moving around during the hitching/un-hitching process. Most importantly, it backs very well. The wheels are far enough back to allow for slower reactions to steering inputs. This is friendly for those with limited backing skills.

I hope some of you find this helpful.
Attachments
IMAG3678.jpg
IMAG3675.jpg
IMAG3674.jpg
Last edited by Andy Garrett on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Andy Garrett

Re: Zip trailer set up

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 am

more pics...
Attachments
IMAG3679.jpg
IMAG3679.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 2372 times
IMAG3673.jpg
IMAG3672.jpg
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:37 am

more pics...
Attachments
IMAG3671.jpg
IMAG3670.jpg
IMAG3669.jpg
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:38 am

final three. :)
Attachments
IMAG3668.jpg
IMAG3667.jpg
IMAG3666.jpg
Andy Garrett

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am

Another note:

Saturday (Independence Day), I was getting to the bottom of a tank of 18-24 month old gas. The motor didn't like it. I wound up putting it on the trailer with no engine power because I couldn't keep it going at low RPM.

I backed my truck into the water until the top of the short goal posts were just an inch or so above the water's surface. This allowed me to pull the Zip over the trailer all the way to the bow roller and hook up. Super easy!

I always try to trailer this way so I don't create friction between the bunks and my painted hull. I have all the faith in the world in my Supermarine Ironsides paint, but why create wear when you can avoid it?
Andy Garrett

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:10 am

Indeed that is a nice trailer setup. A good trailer fit makes it all that much more enjoyable to use.

Now that you have said all this. Absolutely no reason you shouldn't trailer it to TN for the Gathering now ! :wink:

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:51 am

Those swing away trailer tongues are nice for garages! You don't have to cram the thing in there diagonaly.

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:12 am

Indeed Chris! Certainly on my list!

Still a little upset with Hale's Bar for never refunding my money when I had to cancel several years ago, but... to forgive is divine.

I'm doing Oshkosh this year (two weeks from now :D ) for the first time. A gathering is certainly in my future. Ya know..., Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri is ridiculously stunning and more centrally located. *hint hint* :wink:
Andy Garrett

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:37 pm

HI Andy
We'll be at Oshkosh as well.My Son is taking the Aztec and I'm taking the Glassair. GIve me a call and we'll have lunch or something. 863-327-6880
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm taking the motorcycle. lol!

I'll give you acall John. :)
Andy Garrett

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:54 pm

:D If I'm tempted to use old gas, I usually like to empty into 5 gal bucket .then strain it back into tank-being careful not to get the water that accumulates on bottom of bucket ,to get back in tank.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Trailers and trailering”