Forward bunks

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

jamundsen

Forward bunks

Postby jamundsen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:26 am

All this trailer talk has made me think about forward bunks. Can somebody show pictures or drawings on how they would work? I have a 25' monte Carlo.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Bill Edmundson

Re: Forward bunks

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:11 am

John

This the trailer the way I wanted it with the forward bunks. http://www.magictilt.com/aluminum/item/ ... andem-axle

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:14 am

I nudge the bow into the bunks when recovering the boat, the bow bunks capture the vee bow perfectly centered, then the goal posts serve to center the transom, presto!! your done!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Postby kens » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:19 am

here is a generic Ebay link to one with lots of pictures,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Load-Rite- ... 2042384493
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:35 am

When I first got my trailer, I wasn't happy with the way the bunks were done. I did have a lot of options and latitude to correct things, though. The outer bunks were short and the inners were too long making the boat sit too high. The aft short inners were set to accommodate the water intake screen, leaving a gap for it. I wasn't happy about needing to glide over the bunks to set the intake between the split bunks.

I swapped the inners to the outer position and made longer aft inners. The aft inners were moved closer to the center line and now allows the intake an unobstructed path. I also re carpeted the bunks using a thicker carpet with high density 3/8" padding underneath. Bunk supports were trimmed to proper length after all mods were made and found to be acceptable.

Once the bunks were set the way I like them and the boat set on the bunks, I adjusted them by using a floor jack to raise or lower the supports so the boat was level on the trailer and just touching the V block in front. This has made for easy retrieval and launching. The boat glides right up in place. I also like the goal post bow stop for protecting the cutwater and the guide poles in the aft end to get me lined up.

Here is a before and after pic of the trailer.

Roberta :D
Attachments
trailer 007.JPG
Trailer as delivered.
trailer 002.JPG
Trailer after bunk mods
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:49 pm

'HolyCow' ask and ye shall receive. That's what I love about this forum. Thanks everybody!!!!
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Return to “Trailers and trailering”