Tahoe 23 trailer questions

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Brad Tucker

Tahoe 23 trailer questions

Postby Brad Tucker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:19 am

Hello, all!

Has anyone built a trailer for the Tahoe23 or similar boat? I am sitting here and measuring my boat while it sits on the cradle. The chine is around 33 inches above the floor, and the rudder is at 13.5" respectively. I know it can be lower, but one question I have is "how much lower?" because I will have to take into account the rudder cage, which I don't want dragging the ground in uneven terrain/speed bumps, etc.

I have been considering buying a used trailer and modifying it by putting in a rudder cage, but I am coming to realize that many trailers may be too low to allow for it, unless I put really tall bunks on.

I was curious as to if anyone had built one, and how did they address the apparent height issue. In trying to come up with my own solution, a possibility is to make the trailer crossmembers straight instead of them matching the vee of the hull (easier to do as well). My concern is that it would possibly place the boat too high for launching at the ramp.

Anyway, those are my ramblings and questions. I guess i am trying to figure out whether to build or to modify. There is always the option to have one custom built off the boat hull plans, but that is currently the latter option.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tahoe 23 trailer questions

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:54 am

Brad

I don't know if this helps. The top of rear bunks on most trailers are set at 24" off the ground. That puts the rudder & prop scary close. I would try for 8" min.(curb height). I have seen the cages with steel rollers. Butch Barto can shed some light on this whole thing.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:03 am

Yes that is scary close, and wouldn't allow for a rudder cage, I don't think. I'm thinking that I may have to go with straight crossmembers, and set the boat higher than the fenders in order to get the rudder at a safe height. I just don't want to back half of my truck into the lake to float the bow.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:43 am

Brad

I know too well. I have a steep drive, onto a steep street, and no cage. If I do it just right with the Tahoe, I have 1" clearance on the rudder. If I don't I have scraped it, Scary! I have to put the boat in the basement bow in. I can only do this, by myself, is with a winch. I lost control of it getting the boat out one time and bent a prop blade on the curb. Fortunately, it was easy to fix.

My answer is when I bring the boat to B'ham. I can get a storage lot for $50/mo. Cheap insurance.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:43 pm

Brad
I settled on 24" keel to ground. See "Floating instead of winching onto trailer" 30 June 2014 for some discussion. Rear end image of Monaco for your info attached. Check out the handsome bloke holding up the port side, Bill E.
Attachments
IMG_9481 (2).jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :)

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Good looking ride and trailer! Thanks for the information!

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:56 pm

Is that Bill getting elbow prints on your ride? :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm the one getting my arms, hands, and drool on the boat. :lol:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:I'm the one getting my arms, hands, and drool on the boat. :lol:

Yes, I recognize that Hawaiian shirt from our own gatherings.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Trailers and trailering”