increasing trailer length

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

chugalug

increasing trailer length

Postby chugalug » Tue May 16, 2017 8:50 am

:D was thinking of increasing trailer length by fastening 2 lengths of bigger channel steel over the existing channel sides to accomodate another axle.trouble is this trailer is only 4 ft wide(for 8 ft wide boat)will have to be creative with bigger boat bunks.this trailer will only be used to transport boat from boatshed to nearby lake.not over the road.am trying to get by without purchasing welder.
IMG_0933[1].JPG
not sure if bolts will hold enough instead of weld though I could borrow my brother -in-laws 110 welder tho I'm not too impressed with it.trailer looks kinda skimpy ,but looks to be heavy enough steel and a 16 ft boat came on trailer, so looks to be long enough.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

slug

Re: increasing trailer length

Postby slug » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 am

Personally I wouldn't waste the time or money. Way too light!

Doug

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Looks like a Jet Ski Trailer. By time you lengthen it and put your boat on it you will likely have to push down like heck to get the tongue down o to the hitch cause she's going to be VERY back end heavy, negative tongue load, not a good towing situation.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Tue May 16, 2017 1:25 pm

I concur. This doesn't seem to be a good trailer for something like a Bo Jest.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Tue May 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Find the right size trailer on Craigslist for less than you'd spend on that one. I paid $200 for a galvanized trailer that would have been fine "as is" for how you're going to use a trailer.
Matt B

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 pm

from what I measured,the center of Chug will be over front axle.Chug is built 17ft size not extended.the boat trailer had an old 16 ft aluminum boat on it. picked up 2 pieces of 4 inch channel steel to fit over the 3-1/2 channel the trailer is made from.will have to disassemble to slide under boat to fit as secondary boat cradle then drag out of shed enough to assemble axles under.also thinking on using carpeted 5x6 landscape timbers for boat supports.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed May 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Maybe it will work if your not going on the road. Chug is probably a lot heavier than that old aluminum boat.

Ruben

Postby Ruben » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:55 pm

I agree that this trailer can be used to transport boats from boat shed to a nearby lake. But, still I think you should find the right size of trailer to transport boats, because I think small boats can be transported on this trailer, but for larger boats you should buy a bigger trailer or you may hire a boat transportation company also to transport boats like this. You should take into consideration about the weight, size and distance to travel. Well, it's your choice, all the best.

Return to “Trailers and trailering”