Pulling a light boat trailer behind a travel trailer.

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Catbldr

Pulling a light boat trailer behind a travel trailer.

Postby Catbldr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 pm

I am a true believer that you can take it with you. I have seen, although not often, a boat being towed behind a travel trailer. I have a 31 foot Airstream that weighs about 7100 pounds loaded. I boat would be a 16 foot Hell Cat with twin 50 hp Yamaha 4 strokes. They weigh about 265 each. So the whole rig loaded would be around 2500 pounds. That puts me at 10,000 pounds of towing weight. No problem with a 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins diesel. The frame on the Airstream is 1/8 inch channel 6 inches in height so a hitch isn't an issue. A surge brake should be ok for summer driving.

I'm I missing something?

Bill Edmundson

Re: Pulling a light boat trailer behind a travel trailer.

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Catbldr

It certainly was been done. But, check your local laws.

Please add your location to your profile.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 am

I wonder if the total length would be an issue? Ram truck-18', trailer-18', and airstream 32' (including allowance for hitches)
Total length of about 68'. Tractor trailers run about 70' total length with an average sleeper cab, so you might be okay.
Just hope you never have to back up! There is a ZIP owner on this site that has done that with a smaller trailer.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:17 am

Here in Michigan you can tow two trailers but you have to get a special endorsement on your drivers license...

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:27 pm

This link shows pictures of my former set-up:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29519

My camper was 18 feet (20 with hitch).
My Zip is 14 and change (18 with swing away tongue and hitch).
I too have a Dodge.

Overall length came in over 63 feet (65 is maximum in Kansas and many other states for triple tow).
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:34 pm

According to multiple sites, Triple towing is not permitted in NC.
:(
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

galamb

Postby galamb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm

For years a buddy an I have fished in Northern Ontario, about a 6 hour drive north of Sault Ste. Marie.

The last 60 miles in is on what can only be described as a logging road for a few hours after they have sent the grader down to kinda/sorta level it out.

At the end of that road is a Provincial Park with absolutely no services - no water, no electricity, no showers but there is a few outhouses :) - but what is there is perhaps the best Walleye fishing on the planet.

In any event, in any given year (and we have gone up for years) there is always at least a couple and as many as a half dozen, who have towed up either a trailer or a 5th wheel with a boat trailer hooked on the back. Now most of the plates are Michigan or Minnesota, so I would guess they are allowed to pull a double there and obviously Ontario has no issue with it.

But the point of my post is not only are some "doing it" but they are doing it on roads that your average compact car would need to be recovered from some of the potholes :) So I guess if there is a will...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Return to “Trailers and trailering”