New way to launch and recover the zip

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

Andy Garrett

New way to launch and recover the zip

Post by Andy Garrett » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:53 am

I've discovered a new way to get the Zip on and off the trailer and I like it.
Since my wife has no taste for backing, parking, or driving the boat, I have to do those things myself. Cool. No problem. She does help some though.
First, she gets in the boat, hangs the bumpers, and I back down to where my short guide posts are fully submerged and the slightly lifted Jeep Commander is just dipping the tailpipe in the water. I have an extended folding hitch on the trailer, so that makes the water outside the driver's door about 6-8" deep (thank you Weathertech floor mats). Bear in mind, I am 7-10' from the dock and the engine is still up.
I wade back to unhook at the bow eyelet and then pull the boat forward and to the side easily clearing everything under it. I'm in thigh deep water and easily move the boat to the dock where I ask Michelle to hold a cleat (I could tie it off if I were alone) and I go park the rig.
Recovering is exactly the reverse.
No painted hull sliding on bunks. No harsh impacts.
This will be my preferred method going forward unless the ramp conditions demand something else.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

billy c

Re: New way to launch and recover the zip

Post by billy c » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:10 am

Andy, this still sounds too hard for a small boat. how about when on the ramp, hand your wife on the dock, the bow and stern lines, unhook from the bow eye and ease back down the ramp. when the trailer fenders are at the waterline, brake and let the boat glide off the trailer. same for floating the boat back on.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am

Thats perfectly doable. There are many good solutions. This one keeps me out of deep water and no lines are required.
It really couldnt be easier with a 14" shallow draft boat like the Zip.
I pull the bow to the side about 2 feet, pull forward a foot and straight to the side. I barely have to move my feet.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:58 am

yes every ramp is a little different. I am glad you have a comfortable way to launch and retrieve your boat. :D
the nice thing is it works well for you and is fast at the ramp when you have a lot of folks waiting to launch.
Glad you have your Zip back in the water.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Trailers and trailering”