trailer recommendations

Boat trailers and trailering

Moderator: ttownshaw

indyillini

trailer recommendations

Post by indyillini » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:50 pm

Just curious, i never read much on the forum about the trailers used for their glen-l boats. Do people on here generally buy new or used? Are there any recommendation on manufactuers? I am going to need a trailer when I flip by overniter next month and was curious.

Iggy

Re: trailer recommendations

Post by Iggy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm

I got my 14 ~ 16' trailer used (along with a salvaged boat and motor) for $150.00
I sold the motor for $100.00
The boat is headed for the scrap heap if I can't find a buyer (who wants it without a trailer).

Now, I have to get new tires, new lights, probably bearings, and a coat of paint won't hurt. But I should still end up with a pretty good trailer with most 'wearable' parts replaced and good to go for many years.

You can also build your own.. Glen-L sells plans and if you have the basic welding tools I understand its not that difficult and pretty cost-effective.

New is always an option.. but its the easiest one, requiring the most amount of $$$ but generally the least amount of time.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm like Iggy - bought a used trailer and fixed it up. Bearings and wiring are cheap. A little elbow grease, paint, relocation of bunks and I came out a lot cheaper than buying new and still works fine.

Good luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Rational Root

Post by Rational Root » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm

I bought a new one, from "about trailers" in the uk.

Arrived as a box to be assembled.

I didn't need a whole new project 8-) and I have not done any welding.

It went together in an evening or two.

Dave
Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

galamb

Post by galamb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm building one using Glen-L's trailer plans. Since I need a tandem trailer for my 26 footer my options were - New ($3500-6000 depending on how fancy - steel/aluminum), used - most trailers in that size class still sell for over 1000 bucks (I looked alot) OR needed just about everything replaced.

For a little under 1500 bucks I got the plans plus all the channel steel, axles, wheels, brakes, lights etc - so after a few hours with the welder and a bit of paint, I will have a "new" trailer for the cost of a used....
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

basilkies

Post by basilkies » Mon May 17, 2010 9:33 pm

It depends on two things, where you live and what size boat you build. There are different manufacturers in every area and different sized boats have different trailer needs. Also, if you are going into salt water then you have another set of conditions to deal with.

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 am

Look, I mostly a lurker here. hehehe (I like reading and when I get older and get more time I'm building my atlantic skiff)

It would make since to me to go out and buy a doner boat. Say you're gunna build a 20 footer, then go on the web and find you a 20' Mastercraft or Nautiqe. They can be had for about 8 to 10 grand at which point you have all your running gear, motor, gear, and trailer. Just my 2 cents FWIW

There's great deals out there. We just bought a 24' Mastercraft for 10 grand. OK, say you were gunna build an atlantic skiff later on in life, well I have a sweet 454 BB Chev, great gear, NICE trailer, all gauges, cables, switches, ect....

oh and if you're going to build your own you might want to look at the plastic bunk boards????

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 pm

I think the donor boat route is a great way to go as long as the shaft angle,length etc are all compatible for the Glen-L design

I use the plastic bunk slides on my trailers with fiberglass boats and love them.

However,I don't think they are recommended for wood boats with paint.

Anyone have experience,or care to test this?

I suppose if they mess up the paint, (shouldn't go any deeper than messing up the paint as the hulls are glassed usually under ) all it would take would be to repaint the bottom and change back to carpet.

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:31 pm

upspirate wrote: I suppose if they mess up the paint, (shouldn't go any deeper than messing up the paint as the hulls are glassed usually under ) all it would take would be to repaint the bottom and change back to carpet.
Well that's a great point which I haven't taking in to consideration... I plan on changing out the boards on both trailers by the end of the winter. I want to do my plywood skiff early as I use it for hunting all winter and since it has marine grade paint on the bottom we'll soon find out. I've looked around on this plastic bunk deal and everyone swears by it. Everyone says REAL easy on and off, course that's with gel coat hulls from what I've read. A lot of people in the past have sprayed their carpet with silicone to help with this but I want to do it to prolong the life of my bunks.

my two boats since everyone loves pics :D
Resize of P1010011.JPG
Resize of P1010011.JPG (17.12 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
rsDSC00287.JPG
The Mastercraft above I got from Guntersville 3 weeks ago. Not to bad for a 10 grand donar..... hehehe I think I'll wait to donate.... Very nice trailer. The only thing I see wrong with the trailer are the bunks and the bunk brackets. My BF is having me 20 water jet cut out of SS while I'm away at work this hitch. Gunna order my bunks from ultimate bunk boards dot com.

I must say I have looked at all of the Gathering photos off of Guntersville and man was it a nice lake. Not trying to hijack the thread or nut'n. hehehe

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:42 pm

What kind of skiff is that?

Did you build it?

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:52 pm

My Uncle Jeral in Alabama built it. He has been building these since he was a kid. His father passed it down to him. Built out of plywood (sides and bottom) and cypress chines. No frames in this either. It was always a real treat to watch him lay these out. This is the last one he built and she is 15 this year. It was built as an oyster skiff.

I remember running net skiffs he built when I was a kid. We were about 7 or 8 and was allowed to take out the 16" open skiff with 2500' of gill net by ourselves.

I think I've posted this shot of her here before.
rsDSCF0945.JPG
You can load her to the rub rails and still get on step. She's a beast. I've put a lot of deer in her. :-)

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:22 am

That's some very cool stuff, psychobilly. 8)

I built my own trailer for my Zip from Glen-L plans. The trailer is quite a bit beefier than virtually all trailers that are used for 14ft boats these days. The plans are really very easy to follow and the build was fun. The key to getting good welds is to keep the metal clean and fitment. In fact, the time should divided at about 80/20. 80% of the time getting a very good, close fit and 20% of the time actually zapping it with the welder.

Another reason that I wanted to build my own trailer is that, here in Tennessee, homemade trailers are not required to be licensed. That sure saves on hassle. However, the trailer turned out well enough that several folks at G3 commented that it would be a little iffy convincing a police officer that it was "homemade." LOL That was very flattering to hear.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 am

I will second that Dave did a job on his trailer that surpassed even some of the major players in the business! There were several others there too that stood proud and fit their custom builds, something thats not found on the open market in most cases!

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 am

Oh I couldn't agree more with you Oyster in the fact that you get something far more superior when you DIY. Alls I was suggesting is the fact that the doner way is cheap, the most bang for your buck so to speak. I can say that the trailer I got with that MC is well built and will one day make a great trailer for my Atlantic Skiff... :wink:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:09 pm

psychobilly wrote:Oh I couldn't agree more with you Oyster in the fact that you get something far more superior when you DIY. Alls I was suggesting is the fact that the doner way is cheap, the most bang for your buck so to speak. I can say that the trailer I got with that MC is well built and will one day make a great trailer for my Atlantic Skiff... :wink:
Rambling time..... :lol:
Well let me elaborate a bit further. Trailers that meet and fit the needs for custom boats are rarely made and sold by mass produced makers catering to production boats. Even when you purchase a stock trailer, sometimes modifications will be needed to make them work. Its important that additional supports are needed for cold moulded hulls and inboard boats in the medium range sizes and there are only a few trailer manufacturers that provide custom built services without a substantial additional charges.

In rehabing older ones that meet and fit boats up to 20, rarely brakes are now required but the undercarriages for upgrading trailers thats been used along the salty shoreline anyway begins in the neighborhood of 700 to a grand for parts and hardware. If you buy new off the shelf, 1,500 bucks average , galvanized and up too for aluminum in our area and will put you on the road in a nice one. So you have to weigh any savings and place some value on your time too.

If you purchase a trailer that does not have brakes and wish to upgrade, in almost all cases no matter the condition of the axle and hub, you will need to upgrade to accomadate the braking system anyway. Add the cost of the running gear and the cost of the braking parts including the hitch portion and you have spent quite a bit.

So I go back to the issue of building your own trailer. Is it truely about the costs? Not all the time when you can't get what you want. But you still need equipment and talent too and you will need to order in tubing just to begin with. But some folks as I eluded to had the talents and know how and time to to build and fit a trailer to their boats.

Return to “Trailers and trailering”