In hull Transducers

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

verniam

In hull Transducers

Postby verniam » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:43 am

I want to install an in hull transducer but can find nowhere if it will work on my 1/2" marine plywood hull with fiber glassing. Has anyone done this and if you have, how does it work?

steveh41

Re: In hull Transducers

Postby steveh41 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 am

Wouldn't recommend in-hull transducer for plywood. See if you can accommodate a through hull unit with appropriate fairing.

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:57 am

I've wondered about this, too. I'm not happy about my exterior one and didn't think I wanted a thru-hull.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 am

One other thought which could allow in-hull mounting of the transducer would be to make a solid plug from GPO-3 slightly larger than the transducer and fiberglass it in place after cutting away the same size hole in the plywood. Lots of work (!) but might be acceptable if you really want to shoot through the hull... plywood just won't allow the sound to transmit out or get back in.

Steve
Last edited by steveh41 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:08 pm

I have a bronze thru hull transducer on my Gentry for the GPS depth readout. It works great. I was told that you should only use metal thru hulls on wood boats... No plastic.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Garmin and others have transducers that will read through the hull. I purchased one for my plastic ski boat. It came with several different mounts to accommodate several hull angles. You pick the one that matches the angle where you will mount, glue it in place with 5200, fill with antifreeze, and then the transducer has a 1/4 turn lock onto this. Vwalla.

Go to Garmin's web site.

kens

Postby kens » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:34 pm

When I built my boat, there was only one company that manufactured ALL the transducers, for all the fish finder (depth sounders) makers.
AirMar.
They made them all, the only difference between all the different manufacturer vendors, was the hookup cabling.
The transducers are all the same, it is the cabling that bastardizes all of it such that Garmin, or Furuno, or Ratheon, forces you to buy their own bastardized cables to make it work.
I got a AirMar B60 transducer, with Furuno cable.

http://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html? ... ransducers

The Airmar website can tell you everything about shooting thru hull.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Postby kens » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Here is the data page for the B60.
It can be purchased to acommodate various deadrise hulls, and still see straight down. (tilted element)
Notice the different part numbers, to install the various bastard cables, of many different vendors.
Unless you need a full 1000 watts power, this is more sensor than 99% of all transom mount outfits.
I go offshore, and my 600watts still works.
If you are in freshwater, you dont need the 1000w units. Freshwater in the U.S. that requires 1000w doesnt exist.
The B60 is bronze, it has a sister that is Stainless.
http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=13
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Adrock1

Postby Adrock1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:09 am

I'm planning on an in hull transducer for my overniter. Prior to fiberglass ingathering hull I cut out a 4" square hole in the bottom of the hull. I then laminated like 20 layers of figerglass cloth to make a roughly 3/8" thick plate that I used to plug the 4" hole. I faired it and then fiberglassed the hull.

The result is that I now have a small square section of the hull that is solid fiberglass toglue down the in hull transducer.

bob smith

Postby bob smith » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:13 pm

I tried them all over the years and finally have a bronze thru-hull that works great. I have no concerns about it’s watertight integrity.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

Catbldr

Postby Catbldr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Can you get a temperature sensor that will go outside the hull? Even if it is mounted off the back of the transom it will work.

Thanks for your information.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm

I just read ,again, the install particulars on the in-hull transducer. What a PITA !!!
Through hull is the way to go.
A transducer CANNOT be installed unless you drill holes in your hull SOMEWHERE.
If a transom mount, you drill screws in the transom,
If a thru-hull, you drill one hole, that is plugged with the transducer itself

If a in-hull, you have to cut a big hole, install a window, mount the transducer, fill it with coupling fluid, calibrate it, and then all you can do is hope for the best. If the fluid leaks, you lose signal, if the fluid does not leak, you get a signal loss shooting thru the window anyway.

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Here is a link to a little info on my Cabin Skiff blog concerning a transducer I moved from the transom to the hull interior. Been there 16 years now and a lot of miles with no problems. Also used this method for a bow transducer on my True Grit. I was too cheap to buy one of the "real" thruough the hull units.

http://dev.egyptian.net/raymacke/Cbnskif31.htm
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:17 pm

I have a Faria depth finder in mine. The xducer I got was the through hull, and of course, they did not mention that it wasn't recommended for wood. I had to find that out after I bought it. But I bagged it in water and found a place it would sound through, and mounted it. Jury is still out on whether or not it actually works, since I haven't had the time to take it back for a test run. But it appears to work in a bag of water..... :roll:

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

raymacke wrote:Here is a link to a little info on my Cabin Skiff blog concerning a transducer I moved from the transom to the hull interior. Been there 16 years now and a lot of miles with no problems. Also used this method for a bow transducer on my True Grit. I was too cheap to buy one of the "real" thruough the hull units.

http://dev.egyptian.net/raymacke/Cbnskif31.htm

Ray, that looks pretty cool :D ...

Steve

Return to “Power Boats”