Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Postby kens » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am

Neel,
do you use the pumps for your jugs of epoxy?
I do, and graduated the hardener pump stroke with a sharpie marker.
Say, if my ratio is 3:1, I marked the hardener pump in 3 increments; this allows me to mix the resin in quantity of 1, 2, or 3 pump strokes.
If I wanted a quantity of 4 resin strokes, that is 1 1/3 hardener stroke, and so on.
I bought a sleeve of paper cups in small size for mixing.

then I took it a step further, and subdivided a portion of the hardener stroke into another 3 smaller increments, now I can do a 1/9 stroke, and the resin pump divided into 1/3. This lets me mix a 1/3 pump of resin to a 1/9 hardener, this fits in a paper mouthwash cup.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:55 am

I use West System epoxy resin and fast hardener. So I have a gallon of resin and a quart or so of hardener each with a pump that mixes the proper amount of each. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at estimating the quantity needed to do whatever I am doing. But many times there is just a little bit left in the container or I need just a little more to finish. If I have more than one task going and I have some left over, I can use the excess and not waste it. It would be hard to graduate the pumps I think because it seems like you don't get a constant flow as you push down on the pump. I will check it in some small mixing cups. Thanks for the tip Ken

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:20 am

The first picture shows frame 7 pieces with patterns taped on and ready for the router. The second picture I put in to show another way to clamp something. I hot glued two blocks onto the two bottom pieces near where they join in the center and then glued both bottom pieces and clamped to the blocks. The hot glue really holds the blocks in place for clamping. They come off easily with a couple taps of a hammer on a chisel. They work great when gluing with epoxy as the clamping pressure should not be to strong. The third picture shows frame 7 glued and ready fro gussets.
Attachments
20171207_113657.jpg
Frame 7 pieces ready for router
20171208_061743.jpg
Clamping with hot glue and blocks
20171208_065634.jpg
Gussets ready to go on

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:27 am

Neel: Moving along nicely. Great work and excellent documentation. Thank you.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:34 am

I am up to frame six. This is where the hull starts to get too wide for full size drawings of the frames so you deal with "half drawings". When I made the patterns, I used two sheets of carbon paper so I could transfer the lines to both the pattern plywood as well as the underside of the drawing. So now when I go to my construction table, I line up the drawing with a center line and make a couple reference marks. Then I turn the plan drawing upside down with carbon paper under it, line it up with the reference marks and trace some of the mirror image to the construction board. Then I can check the patterns, mark the mahogany, etc. as I did with the other frames.
Attachments
20171209_100418.jpg

kens

Postby kens » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:49 pm

I also used the back-to-back carbon paper for my half patterns, and I went another step;
I got the heavy roll of paper from Home Depot, I think it is used under flooring, almost heavy as card stock.
Anyway, I got the carbon paper lines onto the heavy paper, so now I got a full set of my plans, full size, on heavy paper, just perfect for glue drips, lining up floor timbers, brackets, etc., etc. These are my 'working copy', and the original plans are put away mostly pristine, for future reference.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 am

Frame six all glued together and ready for gusset installation.
Attachments
20171211_071211.jpg
Frame 6
20171211_071239.jpg
Frame 6

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Looks like you are making great progress! Thanks for all the pictures!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:20 am

Frames six through nine and the transom have been sanded with 80 grit and are ready for two coats of epoxy resin. A third coat will go on after the hull has been flipped. I bought some more mahogany to finish frames four and five before we leave for warm weather on January 4th. Frame 5 has been dry fitted and is ready for glue up.
Attachments
20171214_071204.jpg
Router patterning bit in action
20171214_072612.jpg
Frame 5 dry fitted
20171214_075354.jpg
Frame 5 ready for glue up

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:29 am

The pictures all look the same, but I am making progress. Frame 5 is ready for final sanding and frame 4 has been glued up and is ready for gussets. Three more main frames to go, and they will be built in March. For now I want to get everything coated with two coats of epoxy. I may have time before January to start working on the building form. I will be making a 16' rolling platform that I will attach to the floor until the plywood cold molding has been completed on the sides and bottom. Then I will release it from the floor so the hull will become moveable on casters so I can finish the plywood on the transom and start the mahogany planking. I will be stretching the boat from 22' to 23' and I have just enough room in the garage to do that. It will be tight at the transom end until I can roll it around some. I have been designing the building platform in my head and my thought is to make it a form for the initial build convertible to a rolling dolly for the hull after it is right-side-up. By doing this, the "flip" could be interesting...It may not work, but I hope it does.
Attachments
20171217_070442.jpg
20171217_070415.jpg
Frame 4 on bottom, frame 5 on top

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:45 am

Neel

I have 4 heavy duty casters and brackets that you can have. It would cost more to ship them than it would cost just to buy them. You probably won't need them before the Gathering. I can bring them there.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”