Resize Plans- Squirt

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

BCWW

Resize Plans- Squirt

Post by BCWW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

I have restored wooden boats for years and have a fully equipped CNC shop. For my first construction I am thinking of scaling the squirt down 20% or so for a young boat operator. the plans could easily be cropped down which would make a 10' boat with a 52" beam an 8' boat with a 42" beam. height, cockpit etc will all reduce 20% as well. It is easy for me to input the current plans into my cnc for cutting out the pieces and scaling is an option.
Has any one done this reduction or increase overall? I know some plans and builders simply add or reduce overall lenght by spacing frames.

Any thoughts?

vupilot

Re: Resize Plans- Squirt

Post by vupilot » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm

The squirt is so small I cant imagine reducing its size unless you wanted to make a radio controlled model. It may end up so small an adult couldnt operate it but at the designed size an an adult or a child can operate it. Many Glen-L designs may be stretched 10% and many have done so on the Squirt.

BCWW

Post by BCWW » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:01 am

The intent is to build a boat for a child. I have seen similar boats that are between 6-7'
Would use a small outboard. Not intended for an adult.

Two8nine

Post by Two8nine » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:36 am

Why not the Peewee? It seems to be pretty similar looking to the squirt, and no need to customize anything.

I extended my squirt 10% between the frames, and even then it's a tiny boat.

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 am

BCWW wrote:Has any one done this reduction or increase overall? I know some plans and builders simply add or reduce overall lenght by spacing frames.
Scaling a boat design changes many factors - displacement, stability, material requirements etc. It's not recommended unless you're in a position to calculate the consequences and satisfy yourself that they're acceptable/safe. Simply lengthening a design by spacing the frames further apart has far less impact (up to a point, hence the 10% limit on most designs) which is why many Glen-L designs can accommodate this change. As others have suggested, it's better to choose a design the size that you want rather than start scaling a larger (relatively speaking) boat down. If you really feel you need to reduce the size of an existing design, move the frames slightly closer together but don't scale anything else. If considering other designs note that stitch and glue designs can't realistically be scaled or lengthened at all.

Post by 283 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:56 pm

+1 on the pee wee.

7’6” by ~4’ beam.

I stretched the frame spacing on mine 2” which is about the max you can go and still cut the side panels out of one 8’ piece of ply.
019B097B-CF3A-45F2-A371-40C634783C4F.jpeg
Mike

Return to “Power Boats”