Pulling hooks question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

footer

Pulling hooks question

Post by footer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 pm

So, I'm not sure if they are called pulling or towing hooks, but is there a specific location for these?
Attachments
P_20190210_190225.jpg

billy c

Re: Pulling hooks question

Post by billy c » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm

We always called them bow eyes or stern eyes depending on location. On the factory boats I've owned, they are usually pretty much in the upper third of the transom. We used them with a cable and pulley system that would go around the engine so we could tow water toys and skiers. They also were used for securing the boat while trailering and also seen them used to hoist the boat. So secure them where they are braced and maybe backed by metal backing plates ready for any abuse they are put under.
Billly
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 am

If you are planning a larger engine and pulling skiers, consider adding some gusseting from the transom framing to the shears and chines and do include a motor well to additionally reinforce the transom to hull connection. A "Y" harness with a float is typically used to connect the tow rope to the boat to prevent to rope and harness from getting caught in the prop. Setting the eyes 1/2 to 2/3 up from the bottom will even pulling stresses to better distribute loads and balance. Secure the eyes where they penetrate all the layers of the transom plywood and framing members and use backup plates on the inside and outside of the transom. Looks like the ones you pictured have two, one inside and one outside.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 am

The eyes on the stern of my factory boat are located at a level a few inches above the bottom of the motor well and a few inches inboard of the side planking, comfortably above the waterline and clear enough of the side to get a wrench on the inside.
IMG_7263.jpg
Tom

footer

Post by footer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 am

Thank you for the info. I have reinforced the transom and have a ski Bridle I use on our pontoon. I wasn't sure if there was a prime location formula for placement of the stern eyes, but it looks like, from ya'alls info, that I am on the right track. I will be using them for both pulling tubes/skiers and lifting the boat.
Thanks again.

Return to “Power Boats”