Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by denbrlr » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Thank you for the idea about disposable measuring cups. Not sure why I never thought of that :)

I am about to start building the motor stringers. Originally, I was going to use 16 foot douglas fir 2x6 boards but I couldn't find any locally that had the proper moisture content. I am going make them out of two lams of Honduran mahogany 4/4 stock. The motor stringers need to be a little about 15 1/2 feet long but my lumber is only eight feet long so the pieces will also need to be joined with staggered joints. I probably should use scarf joints but I am not sure of my ability to create good scarf joints. My other option is to use a butt joints. Thoughts?

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:55 am

Staggered scarf joints! The boat gets built off the stringers and they unify everything in the boat, so build them strong. Take your time, you'll make some nice scarfs and wonder why you doubted yourself.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 am

On my Tahoe I built them up from 4/4 staggered joints. My cuts are 60* by 45*. That was the best I could do at the time. None of the joints are under the engine.

Tom is right. This is the first critical part of the boat. Take your time. Everything lines up off the stringers. They are one of the few things that you can measure from. In the end, I don't think they take that much of the load. The shape and unity of the hull is the real strength.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am

A good scarf is a thing of beauty and one you will be proud of.....they're not so bad to do on lumber, even completely by hand. If you ever watch SampsonBoatCo's restoration of TallyHo on youtube, or AcornToArabella on youtube you'll see some beautiful scarfs on massive lumber. If you don't watch those, you should stop reading this and go watch them...really entertaining boatbuilding series.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:31 am

I cut the scarf joints on my keel by hand. There are pictures of the process somewhere in my build thread.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 am

You will want to use scarf joints. You will want to also use them when you get to making the battens as they are even longer. Glen-L has a detailed page on scarf joints. I made a jig so that I could cut the scarf joints with my router. The ratio was somewhere between 1:8 and 1:12 for the scarf angle. Pics below:
Jim
Attachments
P1010061.JPG
The router is attached to a clear plastic plate that rides on the angled jig.
P1010060.JPG
A board clamped into place ready to cut the joint.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Mark-NJ

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm

denbrlr wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I am going make them out of two lams of Honduran mahogany 4/4 stock.
Really?

Swietenia macrophylla is darn near unavailable, and what little you can find is protected by CITES trade controls.

Before you begin the work...or even buy the wood...make absolute certain you know what species you're working with...glues you choose will matter. Obviously, I don't know what you're sourcing, but I really doubt it's genuine Honduras Mahog.

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Thank you for the responses everyone. Scarf joints it is. I figured if I made scarf joint I would use a jig and my router so I guess that is what I will do. I will take my time and do my best...

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:29 pm

I also used the router and angled jig. It works fine. Really as far as scarf joints go, it's the glue up that actually more work because you want to make sure the board is straight through the scarf joint. When I made my chines and sheers (21 plus feet long), I used cinder blocks to hold them up and then clamped to the cinder blocks.

IMG_20140330_110812.jpg
IMG_20140330_103900.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Carl,

Yes, I wondered if the glue up would be tricky. I guess I will sort that out when the time comes. Thank you for the tip.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”