Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by neel thompson » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:40 am

Thanks to Matt, Gayle, and Carl.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:07 am
I see you and I have the same problem... Everything that is flat enough that things don't fall off becomes a table! :lol:
HaHa, I feel the same way with my Overnighter build. I keep piling stuff on till it slides off ;) Its a terrible table, maybe I should turn it into a boat!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:13 am

G’day all,
great progress Neel, I knew you’d return to your build. I am also building the palm beach 22 and powering it with a 8.1 big block. Could you give me any advise on the gearbox ratio required for this hull / engine combo? I am getting a lot of different suggestions from the local shops here in oz, Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:10 am

Daryl,, I am really not an expert on gear box ratios, but many on the forum here are. I think they will be asking for the approximate horsepower, desired top speed, max rpm of the motor, finished weight and length of the boat, etc. I'm sure they will chime in here. Best of luck with your build...Do you have pictures posted somewhere? I love the lines of the PB.... Neel

kens

Post by kens » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Daryl wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:13 am
G’day all,
great progress Neel, I knew you’d return to your build. I am also building the palm beach 22 and powering it with a 8.1 big block. Could you give me any advise on the gearbox ratio required for this hull / engine combo? I am getting a lot of different suggestions from the local shops here in oz, Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
For that, I wouldn't use a gear ratio. I would run a 1:1.
That build is narrow on the beam and long, along with a big block 8.1L, you will see speeds very well north of 40mph. If one of you guys told me you getting 55mph, I would not be surprised.
The recommended shaft speed is about 100rpm per every mile per hour boat speed (give or take a bit)
Hence 45mph =4500rpm; 50mph=5000rpm; that will put you right at a 1:1 gear.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks Kens, I had a feeling that someone in here would be able to point me in the right direction.

Return to “Power Boats”