Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:37 pm

:D Nice to see you figuring out wiring and where to hide the wires.I bought the wiring plans from Glen-L.which help alot for wire guage recommendations and wire diagrams.Chugs wiring kinda hodge podge at this time consists of fuse panel and switch panel with 6 switches and fuses.The wire guage on the switch panel seemed kinda skimpy so limited those to led lights for cabin and the running lights.Horn is hooked up to push button switch and has heavier wiring to fuse panel. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:45 pm

Hey Carl, I'm really liking how the layout is coming together. I would put the stereo where you can reach it from the helm rather than inside the cabin. I'm not sure if I have much input on your other considerations regarding your electrical system.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:14 pm

Carl,

One thing to consider is to make sure your wire bundles have good support and strain relief. Make sure you have a lot of places along the wire bundle runs to secure the bundles to the boat somehow (e.g. wire ties, etc.). You don't want any stress at the connection points. Having the panels inside the cabin is a good idea.

Lee

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 am

Carl.... I also like the layout, but I would seriously reconsider the copilot seat. I think I would lower the height of the cabinet and then mount a seat on top with a much shorter vertical support than on the starboard side. That would also mean you would have to consider legroom on the forward end of the cabinet. I know from my many years of boating that the copilot seat is the #1 preferred place to sit. Just food for thought, as if you need more!! I love the way you mock everything up before jumping in... Looks great... Neel

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:07 am

neel thompson wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:41 am
Carl.... I also like the layout, but I would seriously reconsider the copilot seat. I think I would lower the height of the cabinet and then mount a seat on top with a much shorter vertical support than on the starboard side. That would also mean you would have to consider legroom on the forward end of the cabinet. I know from my many years of boating that the copilot seat is the #1 preferred place to sit. Just food for thought, as if you need more!! I love the way you mock everything up before jumping in... Looks great... Neel
Plus one. Tom

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 am

Plus two on co-pilot's seat. Not only the practicality, but symmetry. I can't recall a boat (or car, for that matter) that has a side-mounted pilot's seat and an empty corresponding co-pilot's seat (or a larger seating area such as wrap-around seat or lounge chair/couch) other than a stock car (which had a 2nd seat and it was removed). Otherwise they're typically racing-style vehicles have the single seat in the center (center console boat, race car, etc). More from an aesthetic point than conforming to the norm . . . sorry, I'm getting out there. But it's your boat and your vision, and it's looking great so far!
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:35 am

You gotta make the "Admirals" chair really comfy and the drivers chair kinda uncomfortable so she won't fight you to drive.Thats what I did.I'll probably have to fight to get in her chair. :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Tim, I also purchased electrical plans from Glen L and my own system is largely based upon those plans.

Matt, The stereo may be in the helm, but I was just wondering if it might fit in the panel. I expect the only time I will be using it is when I am at a stop so being in the cabin isn't so great of a problem.

Lee, thanks. I plan on spending quite a bit of time making sure the layout is neat and secure. The only real question for me at the moment is what items to place on the panel besides the AC and DC Distribution panels, some DC outlets, an AC Outlet, a battery monitor, and some cabin light switches.

As for the helm and copilot seat, I hear what you are all saying, but the cabinet must be a minimum of 22 inches high to allow room for the fuel tank underneath. More importantly, if I place a second seat up there, it would need to be approximately the same distance from the cabin side as the helm seat in order to look symmetrical. That would leave a very narrow opening into the cabin, pretty much defeating the whole original intent of having the cabin open.

I experimented with a seat in this position for two full days and just decided that room in the aft cabin and a sizable opening into the forward cabin were more important to me than a second seat. Keep in mind that my normal intended use of this boat is day cruising and lounging around. I did discuss this with my better half and she's fine with it.

Oh, I would appreciate some more input on the electrical panel components. I want to get this figured out before I do anything else.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 pm

Just note that if you’re only putting 1 fuel tank to port, she’s gunna list to port hard on a full tank. Likewise on not keeping your seating proportional.

A fuel tank location more central is a better option or..... so away with the pedestal Captain’s chair and build port and star seating, up high, bench style, with upholstry.

It may be worth getting her on the trailer, put the fuel tank in, fill it and take it to the lake.

That will tell the tale.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 am

How about two fuel tanks.... One under the stb seat and one under the port. Make the helm console and seat slightly narrower, the port base slightly wider. Put a matching seat on each side. That may give you room to pass through to the cabin. I'm sticking to my original suggestion: Seating for two up there is the way to go...You could also design a seat that would stow away or fold down or something for the copilot, so that when the seat was stowed, you would have more of a passageway to the cabin. Sorry to keep pestering you about this Carl..... Neel

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:57 am

Carl: For electric items, I would want the stereo at the helm. I am planning on this unit from Bosshttps://www.amazon.com/Audio-Systems-MC ... 718&sr=8-4
stereo.jpg
. It fits in a gauge hole and you can get a remote https://bossaudio.com/powersports/mgr420r/
remote.jpg
. You can put the radio at the helm and the remote in the cabin or the other way around. I will put the stereo at the helm and the remote by the rear seats. That way if the admiral is in the back she can control the music because I never pick the correct songs. Also, I would put light switches where they are used, not on the panel. I have one room where I didn't put in a three way switch and I curse myself every time I have to walk across the room in the dark to turn on the lights. There is always something to trip on.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:06 am

neel thompson wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 am
How about two fuel tanks.... One under the stb seat and one under the port. Make the helm console and seat slightly narrower, the port base slightly wider. Put a matching seat on each side. That may give you room to pass through to the cabin. I'm sticking to my original suggestion: Seating for two up there is the way to go...You could also design a seat that would stow away or fold down or something for the copilot, so that when the seat was stowed, you would have more of a passageway to the cabin. Sorry to keep pestering you about this Carl..... Neel
Possibly matching seats like on the Atlantic Skiff plans so that when at anchor, the seats could be transformed from forward facing, to rear facing. Build them high and you could do like Neel suggests, a smaller fuel tank on both sides, as well as storage above the fuel tanks.

I also like Bryan’s stereo suggestion.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 am

Question regarding the two fuel tanks. I know that it is not allowed (or maybe not a good idea) to connect these via a common point under the floor because of the potential for leaks. So that means no common feed point for the motor, or at least no equal draining of the fuel tanks. Meaning that one has to periodically switch tanks to insure they drain equally. Unless I am missing something.

Also, given the current mock up, the fuel tank on the port side is 22 gallons or approximately 144 pounds fully loaded. My weight on the starboard side helm (plus the weight of the helm cabinet) is easily twice that. So I don't see how there could be a list to port under those conditions. I was actually trying to determine if having the batteries on the opposite side of the boat(port) from the electrical panel was going to work. This would help by adding the weight of those batteries to the port side.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am

If I remember the theory correctly it's not the potential for leaks in the connecting pipe that makes it a bad idea. It's the fact that if one tank gets compromised (starts leaking, ingests water, mis-fuelled with diesel etc) and it's linked to the other tank then both are likely compromised and you're stuck. If they're not linked, you can lose use of one tank for whatever reason and still have use of the other.

Twin fuel gauges and switchable twin pumps shouldn't make it too awkward to use both tanks alternately to ensure fuel doesn't get stale although it doesn't help with your weight distribution concerns.

Baron

Post by Baron » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 am

Like the Ideas presents here by psychobily and Bryan. However I'm not hard to please. I made it clear for 45 yrs......I PICK THE MUSIC!

Return to “Power Boats”