New Sweet Caroline build started

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

parsj1957

Re: New Sweet Caroline build started

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_2358.jpg
Doing more work on mockups of center console -- finally think I got the height right for standing and sitting -- almost five inches higher than my initial guess before I had the steering and throttle actually attached -- final version will have three sides of windows up to about 54" to provide some spray protection, and lower sides will be solid to protect batteries and wiring.
J.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg

Well along in building the console -- bottom has one coat of varnish as a sealer and is glued together - the windshield is obviously still in the early stages of production -- but it's working out so far...
J.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Console looks good... great idea to test mockup first!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I think you are going to regret that console. No offense - just in case you really want a walk-around CC - i think you will find it difficult to move around. If you are going to have a large bowcover and don't foresee moving forward of the console much then I think it would be fine....but for these dory types with a fair amount of side flare and a narrow floor, I think the best CC design is to make it not much wider than the steering wheel itself. There is 21" between the outside edge of my CC and the inside edge of the framing. THat distance has proven key to the safe and comfortable use of the forward part of the dory in the ocean. It would say 15" would be a minimum.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

No offense taken -- your Hunky Dory looks great btw - congratulations on a great build!. I picked the Sweet Caroline because it fits on the trailer I already owned -- otherwise I was looking closely at the Hunky Dory or a Tolman Skiff -- sadly both had too much beam to fit my design constraints.

I got to my size decision from perhaps a different POV -- and if it turns out I'm completely nuts -- well then I have another wood project to do -- not the worst outcome...

My experience in boats is almost 100% sail boats -- small - mainly J24's until I built and launched my 20' lapstrake gaff rigged sailboat two years ago. I think the last time I was in a small boat with an outboard as a primary source of power was fishing with my dad on Lake Murray down in San Diego when I was pre-teen. But from the sailboat world, I'm used to little to no deck to walk on -- so a couple of rules I've lived by -- no unnecessary movements when underway -- and if you have to move then "3 points on the boat" -- two hands and one foot, one hand and two feet, a butt and two feet... but always three points of contact -- so when I mocked the console up - even without sole boards in, it felt okay to swing by the console. By going wider, I have the hope that on those windy cold evenings (or mornings) I can hunker down behind the windshield and get some wind protection. Also my use pattern looks to be very different from yours -- I'm based in the San Francisco area and see this boat primarily as back bay, delta, and local lakes for either calm day sight seeing with various family members (from wife down through great nephews) or fishing with one or two friends or relatives. The only open ocean would be on a very calm day maybe sticking my nose out the Gate just to check off that box....

Now the first time I or someone is hooked up on a big fish and finds it hard to 'circle' the boat -- I may completely agree with your assessment, but I'm hoping that this will work out for me --- time will tell... Thanks J.
J.

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Thanks! Yeah that makes sense.
Last edited by Goodell on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2553.jpg
The Center Console / Pilot House is in place and everything seems to work - ran all the cables and there's no interference - didn't expect any as I'd laid it out in the mock ups - but always nice to have it work in the real thing... next project is the floor boards along the side of the console to provide a larger step as you go around it, and to preclude the tripping hazard of frame #2. Now if my outboard would just show up....
J.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Looks great... solid progress!
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “Power Boats”