Lee's Monaco utility build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

denbrlr

Re: Lee's Monaco utility build

Post by denbrlr »

Ian,

The milling prices at Johnson's Workbench were very reasonable.

I have learned a lot about spiling from the many experts on this forum so I have a good feel for how it works. However, reading about how to do something and actually being able to do something are two different things. I will take my time :)

Lee

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

The third layer of planking on the bottom is done including trimming :) Yay! Another milestone :) The sides are sanded and ready for the final planking layer. The next step is to line off the hull both on the sides and on the transom. The final planking on the transom will be done first. Some of the genuine mahogany planks have been sorted in preparation for planking.

Lee
Attachments
IMG_20201120_162738.JPG
IMG_20201120_162748.JPG
IMG_20201120_164735.JPG

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looking good.

Just wondering if LL Johnson had thicker stock if you could have gotten better yield when resawing?

I've purchased 3 large lumber orders from them and they give a price break at 100bd-ft, even if you are mixing sizes and species, and their milling prices are very reasonable.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Thank you.

I did get a price break because I bought over 100 bf. They told me I could only get two planks even with 5/4 by the time they plane/sand and clean them up. They did have some thicker stock but I decided to stay with 4/4.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”