Highschool Riviera Build Project

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

18shamic

Re: Highschool Riviera Build Project

Post by 18shamic »

Oops my bad - I made the videos public. You should be able to see them now!
I too hope that the woodshops open soon. As of right now, I am talking to one of my professors about getting access to the school's woodshop but it is not looking good. I hope we are able to take it out for sea trials once before this season is over - over the next winter we will probably repaint, get a new trailer, and do the upholstery: which would be the final steps to the build.

Edit:

Here are the two links from the previous page - so that you don't have to go back to get them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiLav5XuGPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLw8GttEpYU

Thank you!
-Michael

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

18shamic wrote:I wonder if my engine temps will get lower, once it is in the water since there will be more water moving through the system than our garden hose can provide.
Here's how to increase your water supply :
Click the image and scroll down to Dry Dock Testing.

Boat is looking good ! Keep up the good work !

Click Image to see video.

Paul Kane
Kane Custom Boats Ltd.
Chelsea, Quebec

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Forum Support Knowledge Base

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

18shamic wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:43 am
I was pleasantly surprised at just how quiet the engine was: the loudest thing inside the boat was the fuel pump!
Wow, just watched the videos, that is quiet, Mine sounds like Paul's :)

If you have an electric fuel pump and want to isolate so it does not vibrate as much making it a bit quieter consider adding some rubber isolation bushings: https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-bumpers ... ch-mounts/
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

18shamic

Post by 18shamic »

Just a quick update!

I have been working on the boat over Christmas break; but I had to stop to make a bed for my grandmother, as she was moving in with us. It turned out beautifully - I am really proud of it!
In order to keep progress on the boat going, I decided to take the dashboard with me to college so I can work on the wiring harness while I was stuck inside. I drove over 8 hours to find a suitable piece of wood, gathered all of the tools and materials, and had everything planned out. When I went to cut out the dashboard, I did it on a CNC machine at home the day before I left for college. It came out beautifully - everything lined up perfectly, the holes were the perfect size, and I was really proud of it.

Until I realized I cut the steering wheel hole on the wrong side.....So after completing the wiring harness, I mounted it on my wall. I figured I could put the wiring harness on the new dashboard. This likely wont happen until May, since I have no way to pick up/cut lumber here at school. (woodshops are closed)

While I am here, I can utilize the huge metals lab, and I can mill out an adapter that connects the steering wheel to the hydraulic pump. While it's not the progress that I expected to make on the boat this semester, It is progress nonetheless.

Ultimately, the dashboard is a lesson. Its a lesson I have learned too many times: If you take your time, and take no shortcuts, you can make something that you are truly proud of. Almost all my mistakes came from rushing or taking the easy way out. Good work takes time, and mistakes take twice as much time.

stay safe!
-Michael
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
20210124_174509.jpg

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Michael,

Sorry about the setback. I think those types of things happen to all of us at times. Your dash looks nice on your wall though :)

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Why not just build it out as left hand drive?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

18shamic

Post by 18shamic »

Thank you! It's one of the prettiest mistakes to date! :D :D
I considered building the boat out as left hand drive, but I already have the seats, throttle box, and wires run to the appropriate locations to make it right hand drive.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Okay, then another stupid question... Can't you flip the board over and use the other side?
Matt

18shamic

Post by 18shamic »

Man - I wish I could. This is actually the 3rd dashboard I cut out, the others were test pieces from 1/2 inch scrap ply to make sure everything fit properly when I used the mahogany. The dashboard is made from 4/4 solid mahogany. The gauges can only clamp something around 1/4 inch thick, since the bolts embedded in the gauges aren't long enough. There are pockets that are 3/4 of an inch deep around the gauges, as well as the switches to allow them to poke through, while keeping the dashboard strong enough to mount the steering wheel to.

Previously, since I was using thin ply with no pockets, I had been flipping the test pieces over when I fit them in place - I just hadn't realized it. So next time I cut a dashboard out, I'll just mirror the image, and everything should turn out great. I also explored the possibility of cutting the glovebox where the steering hole is now, but you would still see the holes from the switches, as well as my name engraved on the other side. I tried to include a picture of the backside here, but its still mounted to my wall, and I couldn't fit my phone back there :roll:

At this point, I have learned my lesson - I have to take my time with it and do it right - the dashboard is almost like the centerpiece of any boat - its the interface between you and the boat, and it's what you are gonna see and interact with the most. If I see the dashboard every time I use the boat, and its botched together, its not something I can be proud of.

Right after i figured out my mistake I almost cut the dash in half to try to salvage pieces of mahogany, but honestly, I think I am gonna keep this, throw some finish on it when I am varnishing the boat, and I might have to buy a used set of gauges to throw in there. But it will always hang on my wall as a reminder to take things slowly and do things right.

Please excuse my rambling, I do appreciate the suggestions. Thank you very much for all your help and support!

-Michael Shade
Attachments
IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Man that is rough. All of my dash stuff worked out just fine with it being 3/4" thick.
Matt

kens

Post by kens »

Does your guages have the square looking U-clamp to hold them in the dash? Mine do.
I shortened the square U-clamp to grab my thicker panel.
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

18shamic

Post by 18shamic »

Its not a U shape, its this weird plastic piece that you really cant cut down too much. Some of the gauge brackets have little spines that stick out that can be trimmed down, some do not. It isn't a great design IMO...
Attachments
71LlPvLhc9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
72910XL_1024x.jpg

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Go to https://www.mcmaster.com/spacers and get ya self some threaded spacers.
From McMaster Carr
From McMaster Carr

Return to “Power Boats”